Clubs in Chester/North Wales

theWOAT

Hacker
Visit site
I'm looking at joining a club to get real regular play, and more importantly hopefully more playing partners as the two I've played with most of my life aren't as available as much as they used to be(young children, travelling for work so wants time at home when home.)

Never really joined a club though before(except this 9 hole par 3 I play on my own for practice recently), so somewhat nervous about it. But anyone here a member of the following, or know some about them?

Curzon Park Chester
Upton by Chester
Hawarden
Padeswood and Buckley

Ideally, wouldn't mind if they had golf storage lockers too so I wouldn't have too as I wouldn't be looking to play other courses for a bit after joining.

Bit daunting picking a first club, especially when I'm not that great of a player(I'd take a guess at 25+ handicap, 95-100 about my average for 18 holes but still very erratic sometimes), but I guess plenty of members at any club have been there. Don't want to join somewhere wheres theres not many at my age range(24) or aren't overly welcoming.

Cheers for any help guys.

D

Deleted member 1740

I'm looking at joining a club to get real regular play, and more importantly hopefully more playing partners as the two I've played with most of my life aren't as available as much as they used to be(young children, travelling for work so wants time at home when home.)

Never really joined a club though before(except this 9 hole par 3 I play on my own for practice recently), so somewhat nervous about it. But anyone here a member of the following, or know some about them?

Curzon Park Chester
Upton by Chester
Hawarden
Padeswood and Buckley

Ideally, wouldn't mind if they had golf storage lockers too so I wouldn't have too as I wouldn't be looking to play other courses for a bit after joining.

Bit daunting picking a first club, especially when I'm not that great of a player(I'd take a guess at 25+ handicap, 95-100 about my average for 18 holes but still very erratic sometimes), but I guess plenty of members at any club have been there. Don't want to join somewhere wheres theres not many at my age range(24) or aren't overly welcoming.

Cheers for any help guys.

My opinion, Upton by Chester I've played there a few times and everytime its been in superb nick.

I've played curzon and didn't like it and hawarden is ok but not as good as Upton.

Have you thought about Pennant park or even frodsham?

theWOAT

Hacker
Visit site
Actually guy at my Driving Range gave me a complimentary offer coupon to Pennant, still have to try that. But still for joining, its probably too far out of my way really, I'm pretty much on the border in Broughton(by Airbus) so in the middle of all these, and they'd be fine to get to and from should I want to play everyday even with the shared car. With others I'd be struggling, unless they had a storage facility, I dunno.

I'm thinking Hawarden or Upton then to get as much time in as possible until the season ends, then taking a proper look when that ends. Guess I could always buy my own car or something, not that I'd really want too as I don't really need it unless for Golf, thus having a storage locker would be ideal.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Actually guy at my Driving Range gave me a complimentary offer coupon to Pennant, still have to try that. But still for joining, its probably too far out of my way really, I'm pretty much on the border in Broughton(by Airbus) so in the middle of all these, and they'd be fine to get to and from should I want to play everyday even with the shared car. With others I'd be struggling, unless they had a storage facility, I dunno.

I'm thinking Hawarden or Upton then to get as much time in as possible until the season ends, then taking a proper look when that ends. Guess I could always buy my own car or something, not that I'd really want too as I don't really need it unless for Golf, thus having a storage locker would be ideal.

I can't say about the clubs themselves, but I can comment on the courses.

I would rather play Hawarden rather than Upton, as I thought there was more inyeresting holes at hawarden. Lots of elevation changes, doglegs etc at Hawarden, whereas Upton was reasonably flat.

Ive played Old Padeswood which is also nice with 2 great finishing holes. It is next dooe to Padeswood and Bucleky, where I haven't played.

I would suggect taking a month to play all of them , before committing, as it may be were you play for the next 10+ years.

Richie13

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
upton by chester gets my vote, bit biased as i am a member there, its quite a short course but tight, stray and your going to struggle, i know that every round i play lol,

upton has lockers, i have one its a £20 yearly fee

thegogg

Head Pro
www.vlgc.co.uk
I've played all the courses and I'd say that Padeswood & Buckley was the best course with some interesting holes and always in very good condition with Upton having some of the trickiest greens in the area.

James' Slice

Hacker
Visit site
Id agree and say upton played there not too long ago an it's a really good test of how straight you are ! Greens are great as well ! Wrexham is good but a bit pricey !