Club to join in Wirral ?

greensman

Club Champion
Visit site
I think the question has already been asked; it depends on what you want from your club and your golf style.

The quality courses in the area may still have a joining fee & waiting list. But no one has been mentioned Wallasey yet, I will throw that one into the hat. Caldy is also very good and as for parkland I would go with Bromborough for all year round golf.

Eastham & Upton are good, friendly good membership and not overly challenging. They are also value for money.

I would think hard before joining Mollington… I am not a fan, the course is fine but the politics hmmm I will say no more!

Why not get the bats out and visit a few, go into the bar and have a look around. Sometimes a good club just feels right!

Good luck and let us know your decision

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Greensman, where are you, you sound as if you have been around most of them. I forgot to mention the home of stableford that is Wallesy.

As I mentioned earlier in the post Caldy looks terrific, I did a sponsored walk past it last year and insisted we had lunch right next to it.

As for Upton not being much of a Challange, have you played a tighter course on the Wirral? :D

Can you shed any more light on Bromborough as its about the only other course in the area that really interests me.

bazlambo

Medal Winner
Visit site
Whilst the Wirral has many fine courses, most of them still charge a joining fee, with the subs around about £850 - £1000 per year.

When I enquired about Bromborough at the turn of the year the joining fee was £1500 and subs around the £1000 mark. I played the course there many years ago and remember it being a tough test of golf with slick greens and nice fairways, and when I have been on a Sunday morning in the days my son was having Group golf lessons it was always busy.

As posted before i am a very happy member at Mollington and have noticed a massive change to the condition of the course over recent months. To compare this course to the ones on the thread is not fair as Mollington is about 13 years old I think, with most on the Wirral established over decades and more.

The members I have met have been friendly, but if you also pick your times you can go round with the course to yourself at the quieter times. It has got great potential and maybe with a new owner the course will get better.

Golf clubs are horses for courses I suppose and this suits the type of Golf I want to get out of it.

colint

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Interesting to hear you're happy at Mollington baz, I have got a soft spot for the place because of the layout but just not confident it's ever going to shed it's problems. It's where I'll probably play for a bit until I get back into the swing so will be able to have another look. Is it true that the Gary the owner died recently ?

colint

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Got some replies re joining fees etc, green fees are all similar but big difference in joining fees. All said they would consider me without being proposed / seconded etc.

Bromborough are doing a good deal, pay pro rata green fees to the end of the year, and then pay joining fee if you like the club. joining fee can be spread of 3 years.

Caldy £1111 annual, £2777 joing fee, 3 year waiting list
Heswall £1022 annual, £2044 jf
Bromborough £980 annual, £1500 jf (payable over 3 years)
Prenton £935 annual, £250 jf
Leasowe £786 annual, £500 jf
Wallasey £969 annual, £1812 jf, short waiting list

Looking forward to the auditions !

centuryg5

Head Pro
Visit site
Greensman, where are you, you sound as if you have been around most of them. I forgot to mention the home of stableford that is Wallesy.

As I mentioned earlier in the post Caldy looks terrific, I did a sponsored walk past it last year and insisted we had lunch right next to it.

As for Upton not being much of a Challange, have you played a tighter course on the Wirral? :
Can you shed any more light on Bromborough as its about the only other course in the area that really interests me.
Wirral Ladies ,Oxton is tight, but not a long course

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got some replies re joining fees etc, green fees are all similar but big difference in joining fees. All said they would consider me without being proposed / seconded etc.

Bromborough are doing a good deal, pay pro rata green fees to the end of the year, and then pay joining fee if you like the club. joining fee can be spread of 3 years.

Now I can see why the rest of the country is in such dire financial straits...liverpool has all the money!!

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site

Now I can see why the rest of the country is in such dire financial straits...liverpool has all the money!!

Nah The WIRRAL just has the better golf clubs ;)

If you need someone to play at Bromborough with, drop me a line, would love to play it.

centuryg5

Head Pro
Visit site
There is a nice course on your side of the water called bidston.

I am playing in the junior open on friday there:D.
Hi guys,I was at Bidston G.C.(Work wise) on monday last and the office was closed,and not a soul on the course,didn't see any flag sticks out,rumour is, and i state its only a rumour, that they may be in financial difficulies :(