Club to join in Wirral ?

colint

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi

I'm making a return to golf after a 5 year "my kids take all my time" break from the game. I'm planning on joining Mollington as it's cheap and no problems getting membership. Are there any others worth considering ? I know there are loads of great courses in the area but is it possible to get in as a member ? Most seem to need a couple of recs from current members.

thanks

damflog

www.tyrexpress.com
Most clubs in Wirral, as in most other areas, now offering "no joining fee".....even foregoing the usual proposer/seconder requirements.......where about in Wirral are u living.. ?

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Welcome to the forum, DONT JOIN MOLLINGTON, I was a member last year.

Click here and read this thread

Tell us a little bit about yourself, whats your all round game like, how much would you be playing etc. I have played quite a few courses around the Wirral, thats where I am from.

Where about on the Wirral are you?

colint

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thats good to hear, living in Heswall

Used to play 3 - 4 times a week but didn't get time when the kids were born so stopped. They're little bit older now (3 & 4) so I've mananged to secure some time off for good behaviour.

Handicap was 17, Irons are pretty good but can be a bit wild of the tee, pretty severe fade. I'll be playing at least once a week, with the odd 9 holes midweek

Handycap

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi Colin and welcome to the GM forum.
I played Mollington just over a week ago and wrote a review here:
http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk//showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/123486/an/0/page/0#123486

I think you get incredible value for money although as can be read in my review, I had a few reservations, and others who posted noted the drainage was a bit of a problem.

But hopefully, with the worst of the weather over, you can enjoy the summer months and see what becomes of the club as the year rolls out. I think it is one of the better laid out courses in the area and deserves to be given a chance to flourish.

With the current economic climate, there seem to be quite a few empty spaces in established clubs in the area, but you will have to play these courses to get a feel for whether they are the right club for you.

damflog

www.tyrexpress.com
Heswall is a fine course and on your doorstep...but maybe a little expensive as I believe still demanding joining fee. I assume you still have to feed the kids !
Prenton (my Club) and Bromborough maybe best two within short traveling distance...

colint

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'd love to get into Heswall but I get the feeling it won't be easy or cheap. I've emailed Heswall and Bromborough to see what the deal is. Prenton is on my shortlist, a couple of guys I used to work with are members there so should be OK to get in I think.

I've played Mollington quite a bit and it has the potential to be superb, but I'm not confident that it'll ever be the course it deserves to be.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
What are you willing to pay? Hoylake (Royal Liverpool) isnt as expensive as one would think. How far are you willing to travel?

Problem with Mollington is its a summer Course, Decent golf in the winter is out, Simple as. Members are afar and few between but It depends what you want out of your membership!

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Also Caldy isn't very far from you and from what I have sen it looks like a nice links course! Aint played it though.

Eastham lodge is a nice parkland course and not as expensive as Bromborough. All though I would imagine not up to the same spec Brom is (I have played Eastham, not Brom)

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mono what time is the Juniour open on up there? Never played Bidston, didnt even know there was a course there!

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Then you should consider Royal Liverpool, Seriosuly, If I remember rightly, MikeH said it was less than that for subs. Not sure on joining fee though.

What kind of course do you prefere, Links, Parkland etc?

There is always my Club, Upton by Chester. I would be happy to host a game for you!

colint

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Never even considered Hoylake, thought it would be a fortune. No real preference to links or parkland to be honest, the set up at the club is probably more important as I'll be relying on the membership / comps for games as none of my mates who play live in the area.

thanks for the offer for Upton, I'll definitely take you up on it. Clubs are coming out mid june after a family holiday

D

Deleted member 1740

Leasowe is a nice track, i think they've just replaced a couple of there greens on the back 9 too.

Its still one of the few clubs that don't allow ladies to play there.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Not from the area myself but HID's folks live a 9 iron from Bromborough and it always seems lively and looks a decent track. It hosted a big junior event a couple of years ago so must be ok. Heswall's not a long way from there - I know, I drive everyone around when I'm up there!! Caldy looks nice too.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think amoungst golfers from the Wirral, Bromborough seems to be the top parkland track, If I remember rightly, Paul Waring plays out of Bromborough. A course I am yet to play but certainly sounds very good.