Club to introduce Winter wheel covers for Golf Trolleys

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Our Club in order to protect the course during som elf the Winter months are to introduce winter wheel covers for golf trolleys.

How good are they and how much do they protect the course?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do you mean hedgehog wheels? If those, the jury is out. Some think they work, others don't

I've never been at a club that bans trolleys, you must have very delicate grass :D

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If your course gets boggy then hedgehog type wheels are the spawn of the devil. They will sink in and gather huge amounts of mud, which will then cause loads of spinning of the wheels and more damage to the grass. At the end of the round there'll be a one inch "tyre" of mud around the wheel.

On the other hand if the course stays firm, hedgehogs are great. They minimise contact with the grass and will reduce spinning and tearing.

Unfortunately I play at a boggy course, and we have frequent trolley bans in winter :-(

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Does anyone know if its possible to get the hollow PowaKaddy style winter wheels for a motocaddy?

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Do you mean hedgehog wheels? If those, the jury is out. Some think they work, others don't

I've never been at a club that bans trolleys, you must have very delicate grass :D

The course drains extremely well and is limestone based. There has been possibly too many visitors to the detriment of members. I am talking of hedgehog wheels but we have only been advised today and I think it has a bit to run. There is the option to carry or use a trolley with a medical certificate. They do not want to bring in fairway mats nor play the ball from the semi rough.

The idea is to protect the course during the wetter winter months from December to March.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Does anyone know if its possible to get the hollow PowaKaddy style winter wheels for a motocaddy?

I've only ever seen the Powakaddy ones. i have them and leave them on all year round. they are good but can be a bugger to clean if there's no air compressor at the course