club head speed

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am told to slow my swing down, if I do how do I ceate club head speed?

whilst I agree with Justone that the answers to those questions will help focus responses to your situation, the general issue you have to grasp is that the time it takes your hands to move from 9 o'clock to impact and the time the club head takes to travel the same angular distance, but greater actual distance (club length dependent), are completely different (well they should be!!!)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If, and it is an if, you swing like a mad axe man with a strimming attachment, you might benefit by slowing your swing down, getting every thing in synch, and hitting the ball in the most efficient manner. Sometimes less is more. Just go down your local range and look at the idiots thrashing a driver less than 170, and then look at the old guy at the end, casually knocking it out beyond 200.

Or I could be wrong.....

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
One of the best truisms in golf is the old favourite "You don't hit it on the backswing"

Nothing to be gained by an overly quick b/s, except giving yourself no time to get the club in the right position. A nice steady transition from backswing to downswing will help. Try to feel everything pause at the top of the backswing (you probably won't in reality) to help things get smoother, as Bob recommends.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Don't slow it down, make it smoother

I prefer the term 'flowing' as 'smooth' tends to indicate more maniipulated/tension building and without the essential oomph through impact.

'Slow your swing down to a blur' isn't a bad thing to do though!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Shawn Clements has an analogy of pushing a kid on a swing. You dont wrench the swing back then push it down fast from the top. You swing it down smoothly and progressively increase speed through the bottom of the swing arc.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Shawn Clements has an analogy of pushing a kid on a swing. You dont wrench the swing back then push it down fast from the top. You swing it down smoothly and progressively increase speed through the bottom of the swing arc.

all of these observations are fine for 'hand speed', which, if my arithmetic isn't to rusty, will be about 20mph if it takes you 0.1 sec to get them from shoulder height to impact........maybe 30

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know exactly what your mate is trying to tell you. Someone said to me a couple of months ago that when I take it back nice and steady, then accelerate my hands into impact, I smash the driver a mile and very straight. When my swing looks faster, it looks horrible and the ball can go anywhere. I think what someone is telling you is to swing with more control, not necessarily swing slow.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just watch this piece of film of THE Maestro Ben Hogan and listen to him describing the drive. Watch his hip movement, and watch his hands, the flow, the smoothness - the tempo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL_6M_xZvq0

Oh how I wish I asked Jim to fix it for me to meet the great man. Absolute complete and utter perfection in motion.

Last edited:

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
another quality thread by someone who can't be bothered to revisit.

Thread: club head speed
by vickers Replies
Views
club head speed
I am told to slow my swing down, if I do how do I ceate club head speed?

02-Jul-2012 19:14
Thread: Wristy
by vickers Replies
Views
Wristy
i am told that I am wristy, what does this mean?

11-May-2012 11:30
Thread: srixon xx10 u6
by vickers Replies
Views
srixon xx10 u6
can anyone give me information about this club please, I bought it recently second hand but i have been unable to find any reviews.

There's give and take in this world.

:rolleyes:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dont see your point there Duncan.

Brian

Just trying to keep the distinction between hand speed and club head speed for those, as the OP, who struggle to understand how a slower, smoother, more flowing 'swing' can deliver as much, let alone much faster, club head speed.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Just trying to keep the distinction between hand speed and club head speed for those, as the OP, who struggle to understand how a slower, smoother, more flowing 'swing' can deliver as much, let alone much faster, club head speed.
SocketRocket said:
Yes, good point.

How exactly does a slower swing deliver much faster clubhead speed?

I'm not entirely sure what either of you are talking about, feel free to clarify. You did say something about the hands being 20mph or 30mph - that's a massive 50% difference, you don't think that would have an effect on the speed of the clubhead that is on an arc a further 44" away from the hands?

If hand speed meant nothing then shouldn't those 'long drive' guys be swinging as slowly as they can?

[video=youtube;TnXsZ8SL0bg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnXsZ8SL0bg[/video]

Sloooooooow and smooth!! erm............ not.

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
How exactly does a slower swing deliver much faster clubhead speed?

I'm not entirely sure what either of you are talking about, feel free to clarify. You did say something about the hands being 20mph or 30mph - that's a massive 50% difference, you don't think that would have an effect on the speed of the clubhead that is on an arc a further 44" away from the hands?

If hand speed meant nothing then shouldn't those 'long drive' guys be swinging as slowly as they can?

Sloooooooow and smooth!! erm............ not.

These Long Driving Comp types hit it long but not down narrow fairways with water/sand/doglegs etc in their path.

I believe Duncan's point is that swinging out of your socks on the golf course will not automatically make you shoot low. We dont see these LD guys on tour earning big bucks.

When I hit my driver I am looking for good impact conditions and a controlled flight path. I can only get this by swinging under control with a smooth swing that gradually increases speed into and through the impact zone. I know all my best drives and other shots come to that are a result of a good temo and balance. I dont believe Duncan meant that you should hit the ball 'Slow' but under good control, just like 'The Big Easy' does.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
When I hit my driver I am looking for good impact conditions and a controlled flight path. I can only get this by swinging under control with a smooth swing that gradually increases speed into and through the impact zone. I know all my best drives and other shots come to that are a result of a good temo and balance. I dont believe Duncan meant that you should hit the ball 'Slow' but under good control, just like 'The Big Easy' does.

Having played a few holes with JM a few times, I can say that that's the way he hits it too. That's why I use 'flowing' rather than 'smooth' and 'rhythm' rather than 'tempo'. Otherwise I agree. Else may swing 'easy' but I certainly wouldn't want to have a finger between his club and ball!

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
[video=youtube;INE1-49o4Cs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INE1-49o4Cs&feature=g-all-u[/video]

What I would say on this matter is look at a normal club golfer that gives the ball a good whack out to the 300 yard mark. Yes there is some good speed through impact. But it is not breaking the speed of sound on the back swing and neither is it getting thrashed at the ball from the top. But what is happening is a nice controlled acceleration at the ball from the top.