Club flex

User20203

Visit site
I am looking to buy some clubs but the availability is much better for regular flex than stiff. What issues/ benefits would I gain from either flex type?

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hello,

I am a high handicapper. I had lessons when I was young and started playing over the last 6+ months regularly (course 2 times per week, range 3 times per week and some lessons too). I am 6 foot 1 and around 95kg. I can hit my 7 iron around 175-180 yards total carry. 5 iron around 200 yards. I am using very old clubs (15+ years) and unbranded - not very forgiving.

I went to AG for a free custom fit and they suggested that I would benefit stiff flex however could probably get away with regular flex over the next year or so. I couldn’t really tell much of a difference when using the 2 different flex.

I am looking to buy some clubs but the availability is much better for regular flex for my budget. What issues/ benefits would I gain from either flex type?

Thanks in advance!

I’m no expert but If your boarder line stiff flex now then surely with more playing and improvement then stiff flex is the best option

Yes you may have to invest slightly more now but you could buy regular now and replace next season as just no good for u anymore

D

Deleted member 3432

I think shaft weight may be be more important than flex.
Massive variation in weight between lightweight and heavyweight shafts with lots in between.
I would be very wary focusing on flex alone, I can't hit a light or midweight shaft for toffee nut know plenty who are the opposite.
Not helpful I know but it's a minefield and saving a few quid now could cost you in the longer term.
Could be worth looking at an independent fitter who will give you unbiased feedback.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Depending on other factors like swing length, speed and transition, from what you've said you sound like you need a stiff shaft and, as Saving_Par says weight is important.
Too light or too heavy and your timing goes.
As a rule, the faster, more aggressively you transition from backswing to downswing the heavier weight shaft will be more beneficial.
I'm quite an aggressive transitioner and shafts below about 110g throw my timing out of the window.
I had a recent fitting and it was suggested that we try a heavier regular shaft as opposed to the lighter stiff shaft.
We compromised so where in the middle...stiff flex 117g compared to the 128g stiffs I currently use.
Shafts can be a minefield.....

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
might be worth trying project x shafts, they do a px5.5 which is firm (between reg and stiff).
I had this was just right in the middle of flexes.
I went Titleist AP3 project x 5.5 firm flex.
But if your hitting 7 iron that far a proper fitting would be my advice.
Then buy what will suit you . They don’t have to be new.
There’s no short cuts unfortunately.
Proper fit will help you just guessing won’t.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you are having clubs custom made then you could ask if they would do hard or soft stepping eg if you take a regular shaft for a 6 iron and put it in a 5 iron that is 1x hard stepping which gives a slightly firmer flex. (shafts are cut to the correct length after fitting to the head).

A one time step moves the flex approximately one third towards the next step.