Club face control

golfdub

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have a slight draw to my shots but sometimes it can turn into a pull and as I use a launch monitor at least once I week I get to see my angles, so my average angle of attack is about 3deg in to out and 1 out to in at worst, my club face can be any thing from 0.5 to 10 degrees closed which I'm sure is my problem.

So how to I get better consistency with the club face and what are the usual suspects for this problem, I also can see 3 knuckles at address if this helps.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
A couple to add to Socket's list...

Balance
Trying to hit too hard.

I'd suggest you use the LM session to find a consistent 85% swing and stick to that!

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Try doing this drill...

Grip with left hand first, then grip your right hand lightlyaround your wrist instead of the grip.

Make some swings and feel the right hand being passive. Its a great one for ironing out the right hand closing the clubface at impact. I often do it during the round too, just to keep things in check.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
if it's your right hand doing the damage (which is certainly possibly) you can hit full shots with a completely passive right hand grip in it's normal position as well.

what would be interesting to observe is when this variation is occuring - it could be anywhere in the swing! for example you may open the club on take away and then return it to square through impact (or not), you might have something going on 'at the top' with some concious, or unconcious, action designed to do something else, or it could simply be a sub-concious squaring of the clubface through impact that has got out of kilter with other alignment aspects of your swing (to pick a few).

it's possibly relevant that you mention your 3 knuckle grip - if you used to have a 2 knuckle grip but have changed, it would be logical for your subcouncious to be returning the left hand to the previous position through impact at times - which would give you the sort of angle you mention.

this is where 10mins with a professional is invaluable because it's so easy to deal with symptoms rather than the root cause.

golfdub

Tour Rookie
Visit site
if it's your right hand doing the damage (which is certainly possibly) you can hit full shots with a completely passive right hand grip in it's normal position as well.

what would be interesting to observe is when this variation is occuring - it could be anywhere in the swing! for example you may open the club on take away and then return it to square through impact (or not), you might have something going on 'at the top' with some concious, or unconcious, action designed to do something else, or it could simply be a sub-concious squaring of the clubface through impact that has got out of kilter with other alignment aspects of your swing (to pick a few).

it's possibly relevant that you mention your 3 knuckle grip - if you used to have a 2 knuckle grip but have changed, it would be logical for your subcouncious to be returning the left hand to the previous position through impact at times - which would give you the sort of angle you mention.

this is where 10mins with a professional is invaluable because it's so easy to deal with symptoms rather than the root cause.

My pro is in Portugal at the moment as iv been trying to get a lesson before Friday forum meet but in my last lesson we tried to fix the take away as I was was flipping the face open but after 3-4 weeks praticing my drills I'm sure I have fixed it but maybe fixed it to much and maybe it's closing to much on the backswing.
This could be my problem and I will take a look at this tonight.

Last edited:
A

Alex1975

I have been working on my path angles too and have also inherited a strong pull. I have found that making sure that my right shoulder being below my left at address (because your right hand is below your left)(right handed player) seems to negate the pull. So don`t level out your shoulders at address.

Its a simple thing but seems to be effective.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
My pro is in Portugal at the moment as iv been trying to get a lesson before Friday forum meet but in my last lesson we tried to fix the take away as I was was flipping the face open but after 3-4 weeks praticing my drills I'm sure I have fixed it but maybe fixed it to much and maybe it's closing to much on the backswing.
This could be my problem and I will take a look at this tonight.

Where are your thumbs at the top of the backswing?
Under the grip or at the side?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm at work at the moment but I'm assuming at an angle facing the ball but I will have a look at this tonight. Could you explain the reasoning please bob.

If your thumbs are correct at address, they should be under the shaft at the top. If they are at the side, the club isnt square