Club Choice

blomof

Visit site
Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice if possible please. Havent played golf in the best part of 20 years, recently started again but using someone elses clubs. I'm looking to buy my own, probably secondhand ones for the time being to see how i get on, been in the local golf shop and they have a few things that have caught my eye:

* Ping G20 irons (4-PW)
* Titleist AP1 712 irons (4-PW)
* TaylorMade Aeroburner irons (4-SW)

All about the same price, give or take £40. Can anyone recommend any of the above, or others if required?

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Out of the three I would go with the AP 1s they are a game improvement iron and look good at the same time unlike the G20 imho. Sorry can not comment on the aeroburners.
Welcome to the forum.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
They are all designed to do similar things - it's purely a case of which works for you.

You have to try out the 7 iron in each set at a range to find out which one you feel sits right, looks right (statically) and feels right (dynamically)

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Bit of a choice
Aeroburner come with strong lofts so gaping may be a problem as I experienced with Cobra S2s

The AP1s are the best looking at address imo but not quite as " game improvement" from what I've heard, need a little work

The pings have a very wide sole with loads of peripheral weighting, they just hit straight but not a lot of players like the appearance

You're spoilt for choice but try them first

blomof

Visit site
Went for the TaylorMade ones in the end. Read a few very differing reviews about the Titleists, so though might be best to keep away from them for the time being.

The TaylorMade ones feel right and seem to hit well, and far, so guess I made a good choice :)