Club checking / fitting - was it worth it?

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18121

Hi all

I'm 40 this year and have been asked what I want for my birthday...... my main set of clubs are Cobra F7 One lengths with the standard stiff shaft. I bought them off the shelf. My recent purchase was an old school set of Mizuno TP-9, I had them refurbed but with the original shafts and they are nice clubs.

A guy I work with has just been to silvermere for a club fitting, but a proper one from the ground up with lots of shaft options and not just a lie check and a choice of regular vs stiff shafts (think AG "fitting")...... so this got me thinking. Is it worth approaching a similar company that could do a club check on me.... with a view to changing shafts, grip sizes, lies, lofts etc etc of a set of my current clubs. Has anyone else done this and have any opinions on it?

Cheers all

Adam

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I went to Ping last Monday .
Brilliant day out and taught me a lot about my swing.
I was a very low capper for a long time but age and injury’s has changed my swing significantly.
I would say if you can go to somebody who is recommended.
It will only help and can’t do any harm.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi all

I'm 40 this year and have been asked what I want for my birthday...... my main set of clubs are Cobra F7 One lengths with the standard stiff shaft. I bought them off the shelf. My recent purchase was an old school set of Mizuno TP-9, I had them refurbed but with the original shafts and they are nice clubs.

A guy I work with has just been to silvermere for a club fitting, but a proper one from the ground up with lots of shaft options and not just a lie check and a choice of regular vs stiff shafts (think AG "fitting")...... so this got me thinking. Is it worth approaching a similar company that could do a club check on me.... with a view to changing shafts, grip sizes, lies, lofts etc etc of a set of my current clubs. Has anyone else done this and have any opinions on it?

Cheers all

Adam
Yes it is worth getting fitted, unless you still want to use the one length system you will have a problem trying to swingweight your irons and would be better just getting a new or different set that are traditional in length.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have had two fully fitted sets in my lifetime and both played a big part in the reduction of my handicap from mid teens to mid single figure.

I have not bothered so much in later life but still have the shafts fitted and lie adjusted if necessary but with standard swing weight.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I know my length/lie angle corellations and my preferred shaft flex points from previous fittings.

While I might still benefit from modern launch monitor fittings, I can't be bothered at this late stage of my life.
I wouldn't discourage somebody else from doing so, though.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If you are near to Silvermere I would go to either Precision Golf in Byfleet or Jason at Golf Principles in Basingstoke - both a big step up from the fits at Silvermere.

Definitely although Silvermere do offer a good service. For my tuppence worth, and having bought off the shelf and fitted, there is something satisfying about the whole fitting process if you have a decent fitter, and knowing at the end of the day, the clubs are built for your game. Of course if you then go for a major swing change, (and I have) it may be necessary to tweak them but a good pro or company like Ping can do it with minimal fuss