Club championship

Gavsm90

Visit site
In a 36 hole championship match play on the same day can you miss a putt on the first hole and re drop your ball and have a practice putt. Even though you have to play that hole again the same day I think you should lose that hole and the next hole as it’s not a practice green?

Steven Rules

Visit site
Practise as described in the OP is permitted.

For those who are saying 'no', your challenge is to point us to the Rule or Clarification that prohibits it.

Gavsm90

Visit site
So yes you are allowed by rules 5.2a 5.5b but I always thought it would be like playing stroke or competition and your not allowed to practice before your round

D

Deleted member 25172

In a 36 hole championship match play on the same day can you miss a putt on the first hole and re drop your ball and have a practice putt.

Yes.

Even though you have to play that hole again the same day I think you should lose that hole and the next hole as it’s not a practice green?

No.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Practise as described in the OP is permitted.

For those who are saying 'no', your challenge is to point us to the Rule or Clarification that prohibits it.

Perhaps there is confusion as to whether the responses are to the first sentence or the second.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
In a 36 hole championship match play on the same day can you miss a putt on the first hole and re drop your ball and have a practice putt. Even though you have to play that hole again the same day I think you should lose that hole and the next hole as it’s not a practice green?
The player may practise putting or chipping on or near the putting green of the hole just completed.

Steven Rules

Visit site
So yes you are allowed by rules 5.2a 5.5b but I always thought it would be like playing stroke or competition and your not allowed to practice before your round
Yes. 5.5b is the applicable rule.

There are a number of key differences between match play and stroke play. One of those key differences is the ability to practise on the course before the round. (Acknowledging that this specific question relates to practise during the round not before it.)

As you have identified, 5.5b permits practise putting on the putting green of the hole just completed.

Note that even for stroke play (seeing as you sought to liken this scenario to stroke play) Rule 5.2b expressly permits the player to practise on or near the putting green of the hole just completed even if they will play that hole again on the same day.

D-S

Visit site
In addition to Rulefan”s post I assume from the original post that it is match play, so practice on the course is allowed.

yandabrown

Visit site
Yes. 5.5b is the applicable rule.

There are a number of key differences between match play and stroke play. One of those key differences is the ability to practise on the course before the round. (Acknowledging that this specific question relates to practise during the round not before it.)

As you have identified, 5.5b permits practise putting on the putting green of the hole just completed.

Note that even for stroke play (seeing as you sought to liken this scenario to stroke play) Rule 5.2b expressly permits the player to practise on or near the putting green of the hole just completed even if they will play that hole again on the same day.
BiB - unless the committee, in their infinite wisdom (where is that sarcasm emoji?), have added in Local Rule I-2 which then prevents this. (edit - for stroke play only)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whether or not you can practice putt on the hole just played could also be subject to the Rules of the Competition.

Some comps do not allow it.

Just as importantly you may not do it if you are delaying play particularly the players behind you.

Steven Rules

Visit site
As an aside, it would be useful for future indexing and reference purposes if a more descriptive title had been chosen for this thread. For example: "Practising on a putting green to be played again later the same day"