Club builder - Wiltshire

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I need to put a .370 hybrid shaft into a .355 iron head, so need to get the shaft ‘turned down’.

Does anyone know anywhere local to me that can do it?

Thanks

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
No it’s a standard practice. Almost every tapered shaft shafts as a parrelel shaft but it turned at the factory

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
You could probably do it yourself with a couple of different grades of sandpaper. A little bit at a time once you start, check and sand again.

Just mask off above where you are sanding.

Wellout

Visit site
You could always drill the head out, super easy if it's a forged head and a new drill bit. Ideally you'd need 9.4mm but a 9.5mm will be fine. That way you won't need to worry about sanding the shaft tip down.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
You could always drill the head out, super easy if it's a forged head and a new drill bit. Ideally you'd need 9.4mm but a 9.5mm will be fine. That way you won't need to worry about sanding the shaft tip down.
Yeah that’s an option but then it rules out be being able to use a .355 shaft again without putting a shim in the head..

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No it’s a standard practice. Almost every tapered shaft shafts as a parrelel shaft but it turned at the factory

I presume you are talking about graphite shafts because the wall thickness of most steel shafts would make this nigh on impossible to do and the wall thickness of a taper shaft and a para shaft is the same at the tip end on the same make and type of shaft.

Yeah that’s an option but then it rules out be being able to use a .355 shaft again without putting a shim in the head..

or you could just use a .370 parallel.

If the shaft you are putting in is graphite I would go for the option of tapering it.

Worth checking before and after swing weighting before glueing it together as a graphite shaft over a steel shaft can make a big difference

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah it’s a graphite and it’s only £25 so I’d rather do that than have to bore out the head. 😁

Cheers for the advice 😊

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Now that OP has an answer I hope he wouldn’t mind my hijacking the thread to ask what by the sounds of it is a dumb question.

I’ve got a set of MP54s and Adams CB2s. I want to swap the shafts, any danger in doing this?! Obvs I’d get a professional to do it I haven’t a notion. Like is there any danger in the clubs being compromised no? They’re both KBS 90s, I just want the stiff ones in the mizzys. What kind of price should I expect to be looking at?

Thanks in advance and apologies to the Op!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Now that OP has an answer I hope he wouldn’t mind my hijacking the thread to ask what by the sounds of it is a dumb question.

I’ve got a set of MP54s and Adams CB2s. I want to swap the shafts, any danger in doing this?! Obvs I’d get a professional to do it I haven’t a notion. Like is there any danger in the clubs being compromised no? They’re both KBS 90s, I just want the stiff ones in the mizzys. What kind of price should I expect to be looking at?

Thanks in advance and apologies to the Op!

No danger whatsoever.

Also if they are both the same shafts then why change?

It's also a very simple job to do yourself.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No danger whatsoever.

Also if they are both the same shafts then why change?

It's also a very simple job to do yourself.

Fab thank you, one set are stiff the other regular, I was fit for that shaft recently at AG and the difference was significant (in terms of dispersion).
As much as I should be able to do it myself, you’re taking about a guy who couldn’t put a shelf up. I’ve zero practical aptitude. Just as well I’m devilishly handsome (cough).

Thanks chap appreciate it

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
There may be a slight difference in swing weight between the heads and regular and stiff shafts too so yes best get a club fitter to do it.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There may be a slight difference in swing weight between the heads and regular and stiff shafts too so yes best get a club fitter to do it.

Thanks chap. They are really similar in weight and size - uncanny really!

380E8044-3549-456A-BFC3-734BA579F327.jpeg00E70814-3D77-4F51-B8F0-50D0527380B5.jpeg

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Overall weight of the club has very little to do with swing weight.

Swing weight is all about where along the shaft the head balances.

It is very easy to see if they are the same swing weight by working out where on the shaft the club is horizontal when balanced on a sharp edge.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It is very easy to see if they are the same swing weight by working out where on the shaft the club is horizontal when balanced on a sharp edge.

Thanks chap, just did the test - they’re the exact same. I’ve been hitting the Adams really well they’re good bats, they just don’t have the same softness so I reckon I’ll find someone to do that swap.

Thanks again - most informative (y)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Which is why I mentioned there may be differences in weight, I didn't say overall weight. A heavier/lighter head on the same shaft will move the swingweight scale.

I'm perfectly aware of swingweight scales.

🙄