Closing the clubface at the top

TobyRich1928

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi guys,

I have suddenly developed a massive problem which i am desperate to fix! when i get to the top of my backswing, the clubface has become very shut which is resulting in a nasty low hook with most of the long clubs. So i was wandering if any of you guys have had this problem, and if sooo how you guys got rid of it? Any drills or tips would be grately appericated

Thanks guys :)

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I developed this a couple of months ago and all it took was a simple lesson. Check your grip is neutral as that was the main problem for me, the pro also found that gripping the club too tightly was causing me to close the face so maybe lighten your grip. Then about a month after that the hook came back again and this time it was because I was coming round the ball if that makes sense, so although the clubface was neutral because of th eswing plane I was hitting it way left. If its this then Bobmacs "sponge drill" will work well, its what my pro got me to do only with a bit of wood which was really an incentive to not "come round the ball" as I would hae taken a chunk out of my club! Hope these help although it might be worth getting some more advice off someone a bit more qualified than me! :)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Sounds like your grip is too strong to me (..... but I'm no expert :mmm:)

I have a strong grip, I've always played with a semi-strong grip however, as Bob pointed out in a previous thread, I hold off on releasing the club head to deliver the club face square.

I would say your grip has drifted towards the strong side. Just check your grip and make sure you're where you should be.

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
I have been doing this recently myself. Mine was due to taking the club away on the inside though I have been able to sort that part out and regained my width at the top i am still working now on trying to get the clubface back into the right position instead of being shut.

If I take a few slow practice backswings and place the club in the correct position each time it's seems to work for me. Hopefully with continued practice of this it will become natural again.

For me it's only happening with the irons not the driver. Though I have developed a slight collapse issue on my left side after hurting my back which is also a cause of my hook as I get trapped on the way down and then swing the club around myself (In to In). So it's made it harder for me to see if I've fixed the original hook problem lol

Also as has been said it could be a strong grip. Left hand & right hand too much clockwise around the grip.

Best thing is to get a video from behind and face on and post it up for us to see better as there are multiple reasons for such problems.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Open the clubface slightly at address. Your hook is due to the swingpath being to the right of the clubface direction at impact.

If the ball still turns left in flight then open it a little more.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Open the clubface slightly at address. Your hook is due to the swingpath being to the right of the clubface direction at impact.

If the ball still turns left in flight then open it a little more.

Not sure I'll agree with opening or closing club face at address. IMO it should only be in one position which is square to where you are aiming or your target line.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not sure I'll agree with opening or closing club face at address. IMO it should only be in one position which is square to where you are aiming or your target line.

You dont understand what hooks the ball then.

He either points the clubface further right or swings less in to out.

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org

I would prefer this. Out for a few holes this morning and just made sure that I had a couple of very slow practice backswings ensuring the club face was square at the top to get the feeling where my hands should be and the position.
Hit some great shots, first time I've hit our 2nd hole in 2 which was playing about 450yds today, with driver and 4 rescue. All from doing the above and avoiding the shutting and the resulting hook.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would prefer this. Out for a few holes this morning and just made sure that I had a couple of very slow practice backswings ensuring the club face was square at the top to get the feeling where my hands should be and the position.
Hit some great shots, first time I've hit our 2nd hole in 2 which was playing about 450yds today, with driver and 4 rescue. All from doing the above and avoiding the shutting and the resulting hook.

Your hook is not created by the direction of your clubface, it is caused by your swingpath being to the right of your clubface at impact. The clubface direction only affects the initial direction of the ball at impact.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
You need to define the direction the ball actually starts in order to have a cure suggested as the cure is different for each....

the ball starts to the right, straight or to the left?

With hooks you can as suggested keep opening the face bit by bit, unless it's already starting to the right in which case you need to straighten out your swingpath and leave the clubface where it is. (sponge drill is then definitely NOT the way to go as you're already too far in-to-out).

If it starts straight then you need to take steps to open the clubface slightly to start the ball a little further right.

If it starts LEFT and goes further left then all sorts of things come into play.....

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You need to define the direction the ball actually starts in order to have a cure suggested as the cure is different for each....

the ball starts to the right, straight or to the left?

With hooks you can as suggested keep opening the face bit by bit, unless it's already starting to the right in which case you need to straighten out your swingpath and leave the clubface where it is. (sponge drill is then NOT the way to go as you're already too far in-to-out).

He is getting a nasty hook. I guess you would agree aligning his clubface direction and swingpath closer will reduce the sidespin.

OK, this may then need an alignment change.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
He is getting a nasty hook. I guess you would agree aligning his clubface direction and swingpath closer will reduce the sidespin.

Yes it would unless the ball is already starting to the right in which case the clubface is already sufficiently open and the swingpath is too extreme (otherwise to open the clubface more the ball would be going miles right) I'd start by checking the grip hasn't gone too stong (notably the right hand) then worry about the clubface/swingpath.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes it would unless the ball is already starting to the right in which case the clubface is already sufficiently open and the swingpath is too extreme (otherwise to open the clubface more the ball would be going miles right) I'd start by checking the grip hasn't gone too stong (notably the right hand) then worry about the clubface/swingpath.

If his clubface and swingpath move closer he will lose the hook and get a more acceptable ball flight. He then only needs to sort out his alignment.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
If his clubface and swingpath move closer he will lose the hook and get a more acceptable ball flight. He then only needs to sort out his alignment.

I don't agree. Like I said previously it depends where the ball starts so it's not possible to diagnose an acceptable fix without all the information.

If the ball is starting right then there's no point in opening the clubface more it's already open..you COULD do that but then your going to send the ball miles right, again as i said already... then you're practically hitting block shots... changing the alignment isn't the cure for blocking it.

the only way opening the clubface works is if the ball starts left (then it might also be a swingpath issue) and if the ball starts straight.

Of course he could already be standing closed to the target in which case it's all different... so best to check the grip first :)

Happy 2012 :)

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Slightly o/t: The 'sponge' drill can be set up to encourage in to out, square or out to in paths by moving the objects; they can be narrowed or the angle altered to help achieve desired results.

On a centred hit, the clubface relative to the path causes curvature, to reduce this curve the amount of this difference needs to be reduced. It is an assumption that moving the path the clubface will stay in the same position relative to the target, just as it would be an assumption that it would move relative to the path (not reducing any gaps).

I would suggest looking at the persons aim, the initial ball direction, curvature, trajectory, distance and finishing position to determine what needs to change and in what order and then the swing and individual to determine how best to achieve it.

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
Best bet mate is to get yourself a lesson with a decent pro. If you dont already know one then ask your mates if they use or know any. That's what I do myself get a lesson because quite often the real problem can be due to one issue while you suspect another.

As has been said it can be a variety of causes, a good pro will have you sorted in no time and possibly even improve on what you had before.
This is the best time of year to do it too.