closed golf club

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Golf courses will be open long before july, I have heard from a source who has a family member who works in Westminster that this 3 week lockdown will be extended by a further 2 weeks. Apparently we will then see other shops etc opening back up but cinemas, cafes, restaurants, events with large crowds will be off the table for a while after that. I think the courses will be open again (maybe without the clubhouse opening) end of April/beginning of May.

If only people had the same passion as some are expressing for NHS workers for our armed forces who have risked their lives perhaps to a far greater extent and all for the good of our country and its interests.

Going by Dr Calderwood's comments I also can't see this timeframe being realistic to be honest.

Also having spoken with a neighbour who is in charge of one of the teams within NHS Scotland emergency planning (her team is in charge of storage of the dead) I would be amazed if you believe we'll be back within 4 weeks. Then again she is not in Westminster nor is Dr Calderwood.

I'm still calling June at the earliest.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
And of course I think your opinion is utter twaddle if you foresee this lockdown as it stands lasting 12-18 months. The economy would be in dire straights and things would be as bad as they were in the 1930's during the depression if this were to happen. The government couldn't afford to allow this to happen and I think they are trying to get a controlled infection rate and then at some point over the next month or so hope this rate of infection stabilizes at which point they will declare its under control which of course it wont be it just wont be getting any worse
I truly hope you are right, but fear my timeline is likely to be much closer to reality.

Until an anti-virus is freely available, the government has no, or very little, control over infection rate. And Yes, the economy WILL be in dire straits - though hopefully not as bad as you suggest. The difference between 1930s and now is that as soon as an anti-virus IS freely available, we can return to, at least something approaching, 'business as usual'. That wasn't the case in the 1930s as that was primarily a 'confidence' issue - along with mismanagement of money supply. A loss of confidence is far more difficult to turn around than finding a cure for this pandemic! It will be 'interesting' to see how central banks react too. The US's 2Trillion 'mitigation' funding is a start.

And if you want further evidence of how wrong your 'prediction' is likely to be, just read a few of the articles here: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/30/coronavirus-uk-and-us-lockdown-could-go-on-for-months.html

All governments are going into (generally quite reasonable imo) 'spin' mode to attempt to 'manage' people's expectations, reducing the sort of chaos likely to happen were they to go directly to 'most likely case' mode!

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Even with the rules, and club closing, and the discussions we're having above, there are still people who believe the rules don't apply to them.
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/ne...ers-ignore-lockdown-public-gathering-17981733
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman....sh-golfers-ignore-lockdown-guidelines-2522122
The fact is that there are still plenty out there who think that they know better.

There was something on Facebook the other day about golfers changing the the car park of a well known middle-class club in the Whitecraigs area of Glasgow. No idea if it was true or not as nosey book isn't always the most reliable place for information.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
There was something on Facebook the other day about golfers changing the the car park of a well known middle-class club in the Whitecraigs area of Glasgow. No idea if it was true or not as nosey book isn't always the most reliable place for information.
I can't think were you're referring to ;)
To be honest, the same could be happening on ours but as I'm not there I don't know. However, one of my friends lives in the flat above the clubhouse so he keeps a weather eye on the course.
There was another one on Twitter from a club in Northern England (I can't find it now) which was a photo of two blokes playing on a course who it was believed were non-members.
I think a lot of people will be looking to get on to courses they would not otherwise play. That's why you need people working on the course every day so they can keep an eye on things like this.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
when i came back from mountain biking with the dog along the great glen way, i saw a guy with a few clubs out on the 9th at the kings.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just hoping we have a golf course to go back to when the lockdown is over. Hearing that one of our fairways has been used as a football pitch (stud marks everywhere), one of the greens has been damaged after a game of hockey and a number of mountain bikers have been spotted on the course. And God knows how much dog muck will have to be cleaned up.

At times like this for people like this, we really should be allowed to employ snipers...