closed golf club

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Last edited:

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure where you are based but just pop along to your local ICU and see if getting a game of golf is really that important right now. Of course you won't be allowed in but let me tell you from someone that is watching the staff at the epicentre (without efficient supplies at times) and hitting a little ball is not important. Don't use your car unless for essential journey's, stay inside and do what you've been asked to do
’cannot disagree with that fella, you stay safe’
Yes homer stay safe. Don’t get RSI from shuffling all that paper, or god forbid a full on paper cut ???

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
evening gents I appreciate that this is such a difficult time but

I have just walked along the riverside watching couples out, people on bikes, people fishing for goodness sake,
why can we not play golf
it provides exercise
some [social distance] contact
provides families with a break from each other [come on we do need it sometimes]

solution
anybody on lock down in the house stays locked down [appreciate thats harsh but if you are in the high risk group you will understand]
play two balls
play bunkers and level with your club like it used to be done
fix a wooden pole as the hole, its in if it hits the pole, no contact, no dispute
try it on the winter greens
all clubs have a booking facility increase the timing to 15 mins between matches [no gathering etc]
restrict the practice area to 3 people maximum 30 mins
keep the locker rooms closed
clubs in car, change shoes in car park
I don't think that is a big ask

if we don't play, clubs will fall into disrepute because members will not pay their membership fees
if the cubs run short of money the greenskeepers will be paid off and our lovely courses will fail

come golf union, everyone appreciates the rationale behind your decision, but reconsider please

mackum
happy yip

Welcome to the forum, it is a forum that is very much like many members lounges up and down the country ;):p. Enjoy.

Oh yeah, pretty much everything you've said has gone through my head and many others I've talked too. However, ultimately this is for the best IMHO.

D

Deleted member 23270

I get the OP's logic but the issue is if you relax the rule for one group then everybody wants the same. Before you know it groups start forming and the lock down becomes pointless.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I agree entirely with the OP, it just really boils down to the government not trusting people to maintain social distancing so they wont allow it. You go into asda use the self scan touch a screen that's been touched by god knows how many other people whilst you are in close proximity unavoidably so with lots of others yet your not allowed to play golf on a golf course even if its literally in your back garden. It does border on the ridiculous when you look at the risk factors involved with playing golf especially if rakes and flags were removed or fixed in place. But hey ho only 2& a half weeks before they hopefully relax the conditions enough to let the courses open for play

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
’cannot disagree with that fella, you stay safe’
Yes homer stay safe. Don’t get RSI from shuffling all that paper, or god forbid a full on paper cut ???

Rodders old fruit, bit of a low one there
every cog in a wheel is important,
Having had first hand experience as an ICU patient, all I can do is applaud each and every one of them from the surgeons, to the nurses to the paper pushers.
And to dis anyone in the NHS at this time is petty.

Now I think you and Homie need to metaphorically shake hands and stop making work for your Mod Team ?

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rodders old fruit, bit of a low one there
every cog in a wheel is important,
Having had first hand experience as an ICU patient, all I can do is applaud each and every one of them from the surgeons, to the nurses to the paper pushers.
And to dis anyone in the NHS at this time is petty.

Now I think you and Homie need to metaphorically shake hands and stop making work for your Mod Team ?
Fair point, but homer himself was slagging off the front line staff only yesterday. Shouldn’t really dish it out...should he ? But of course he’d rather hide behind the report function. Skin of a rhino ???

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
This is a forum that likes rules, and does not like it when people question the rules.

I am following the guidance on corona and since Tuesday morning, I have been out of my house only once for a quick stroll in my local area. I have been in the garden a lot though.

In terms of the original post; I have thought the same and seeing as we all have so much downtime right now, I see no problem in discussing it on an internet forum.

A fair point of course is that golf is not vital, whereas food shopping is. In terms of where you would be more likely to pick up this virus though... Well it certainly wouldn't be by playing as a single down at your local track. According to my partner, Sainsbury's was a mess with no one, including plenty of staff, following the 2 metre rule :(

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
...and at this point (re Sainsburys) my mum would say, "two wrongs don't make a right!" :)
Of course :D

I just think to dismiss things outright seems a bit strange, particularly when we're in a situation where few of us have much time on our hands. There's no harm in discussing things.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Would just point out that (1) shouldn't be anyone fishing the rivers now anyway, because it's closed season (some lakes are exempt but I don't think the rivers are) (2) fishing is also specifically off currently, by government rules, in exactly the same way as golf.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Why would anyone think we are two weeks away from being allowed out to play golf.

We are supposedly 2 weeks behind Italy and Spain and both are in dire straits with stricter measures that are in place here.

BigEasyERGC

Visit site
Not sure where you are based but just pop along to your local ICU and see if getting a game of golf is really that important right now. Of course you won't be allowed in but let me tell you from someone that is watching the staff at the epicentre (without efficient supplies at times) and hitting a little ball is not important. Don't use your car unless for essential journey's, stay inside and do what you've been asked to do

Ironically popping along to your local ICU is far more dangerous and seriously putting lives at risk as opposed to playing a one ball round off golf! Lol!

No but seriously everything should be locked down and we can all get back out on the course when are through this pandemic.

Stay safe everyone.

Wildboy370

skiptongolfclub.co.uk
Mackum.
as we pussy foot about the people who think the rules don’t apply to you. As my my daughter is is front line nurse and my work colleague has the virus. For you to say let’s play golf. What an utter idiot Do us all a favour and shut up.. Your sort of opinion will keep the restrictions going for months.

Last edited by a moderator: