closed golf club

mackum

Visit site
evening gents I appreciate that this is such a difficult time but

I have just walked along the riverside watching couples out, people on bikes, people fishing for goodness sake,
why can we not play golf
it provides exercise
some [social distance] contact
provides families with a break from each other [come on we do need it sometimes]

solution
anybody on lock down in the house stays locked down [appreciate thats harsh but if you are in the high risk group you will understand]
play two balls
play bunkers and level with your club like it used to be done
fix a wooden pole as the hole, its in if it hits the pole, no contact, no dispute
try it on the winter greens
all clubs have a booking facility increase the timing to 15 mins between matches [no gathering etc]
restrict the practice area to 3 people maximum 30 mins
keep the locker rooms closed
clubs in car, change shoes in car park
I don't think that is a big ask

if we don't play, clubs will fall into disrepute because members will not pay their membership fees
if the cubs run short of money the greenskeepers will be paid off and our lovely courses will fail

come golf union, everyone appreciates the rationale behind your decision, but reconsider please

mackum
happy yip

mackum

Visit site
hi andy, the same way that I get to the supermarket, I use my car, park in the car park which is rammed , and then shop like everyone else surrounded by people hopefully more than 2 m away,

mackum

Visit site
it is lol, the suns shining, I'm off work, and we all know when we get back we will be chocka
its not life or death which of course it could be I am only floating out an idea

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It’s frustrating for us all not to be out. But these times are unique and its with reason they are shut. If they weren’t it’s the few that would spoil it for everyone else.

Use the time to practice putting or chipping or working on your swing.

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
it is lol, the suns shining, I'm off work, and we all know when we get back we will be chocka
its not life or death which of course it could be I am only floating out an idea

Deal with it and move on. We're all in the same boat.

mackum

Visit site
incognito: yes I get that those few will always forget about everyone else

on the practice front : my clubs are locked in the locker room lol, english golf union made the announcement Think at 5am in the morning , the club shut down within an hour :censored:

inthehole

Hacker
Visit site
Unfortunately , its a no brainer. Just cannot do. The rules are for everyone... and although you could probably navigate a safe path... others wouldn't. To be fair to Johnson, he / government tried to give everyone the chance to do it properly... it became apparent that you have to work to the lowest common denominater. Therefore.. we are all locked down …. (

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You obviously don't 'appreciate' the true nature of how much of 'a difficult time' it is!

This is a life and death crisis for the entire world! So just obey the rules/demands! Otherwise it'll take much longer to come through it - with many more deaths!

There are plenty of idiots at my workplace (in an 'essential' industry where my work cannot be done from home) who are not applying the 'distance separation'. My comment to them has been.....'Feel free to endanger the lives of yourself and your family by your action, but stop endangering mine!'!

Last edited:

mackum

Visit site
I get the health crisis, its painful watching the news, but hey its just an opinion, lets see how we all feel in another two weeks, the 'lockdown' is here for at least 6 weeks I cannot see how it cannot be
anyway best golfing to all of you when we get back out there, stay healthy
(y)

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I get the health crisis, its painful watching the news, but hey its just an opinion, lets see how we all feel in another two weeks, the 'lockdown' is here for at least 6 weeks I cannot see how it cannot be
anyway best golfing to all of you when we get back out there, stay healthy
(y)

If you get the health crisis, why on earth suggest it, knowing its against the lockdown rules?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A golf club is somewhere for individuals to congregate socially. That's it. Doesn't matter that golfers might look to maintain separation - in some instances we'll not. Just look forward to lovely pristine fairways when we are allowed back.

mackum

Visit site
andy I wasn't at all suggesting that anyone broke any rules, it was just a posted opinion, we're golfers we don't break rules
swingitlikehogan is right the courses will be brilliant when we get back

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not sure where you are based but just pop along to your local ICU and see if getting a game of golf is really that important right now. Of course you won't be allowed in but let me tell you from someone that is watching the staff at the epicentre (without efficient supplies at times) and hitting a little ball is not important. Don't use your car unless for essential journey's, stay inside and do what you've been asked to do