Closed face during swing?

m10johnson

Head Pro
Visit site
One of my mates told me that I have a very closed club face during my swing from where I used to swing from out to in.

I have uploaded to photos; one at the top of the swing and the other on the downswing. Please feel free to express whether he is correct or not, and how to fix it if he is.

Closedface2.png

Closedface.png

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The top of the backswing is definitely closed. For some reason, I cant load photos any more but the toe of the club should be pointing more to the ground a touch. I would have your grip checked

Last edited:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes it is closed.

But why do you want to change it?

Hasn't hurt this guy - from 3:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UMKTtlg6Voo#!

Don't think he'll have this swing on The Champions Tour though:mmm:

I never noticed before how much he bows his wrist. Although the club face is parallel to the ground it is also in line with the back of his left hand.
With the OP's club face not being aligned with the back of his hand does that mean a possible grip issue?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I never noticed before how much he bows his wrist. Although the club face is parallel to the ground it is also in line with the back of his left hand.
With the OP's club face not being aligned with the back of his hand does that mean a possible grip issue?

I wouldn't dare to suggest there's an 'issue' in the first place. OP-er hasn't actually state why he is actually seeking advice/comment - apart from as reaction to a comment by a mate. There's actually an interesting article by Brian Sparks (a Fellow of The PGA, so quite well respected)in the latest Surrey Golf Union mag (which I saw after I queried what OP was trying to achieve) regarding how destructive that can be.

And a couple of pics is a very unreliable to show a swing imo. Hard to show timing except via video!

The Dustin Johnson vid merely demonstrates how the guys at the top are not 'classic' swingers. The fact that they are fully dedicated to athleticism to enable themselves to get the best out of their particular strengths simply proves, to me, why my 'warts and all' natural in-to-out, shoulders aligned right, feet aligned left, 3/4 swing with little follow through should not tampered with!