Cleveland 588 Wedge

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As a mid-to-high handicapper (currently 20.9) there are a lot of improvements that need to be made before I can get down to single figures. One of those improvements was to get some backspin and 'check' on chips around the green, to help keep the ball on the fast paced greens I usually play. My old wedges (50 & 60 degree Wilson Staff FG Tours) were playable, but rarely did I get any backspin from my shots.

I then spent some time with the Cleveland short game area at The Celebrity Cup - Golf Live at Celtic Manor, and was given the chance to try some new wedges. I was extremely impressed with the spin that I was able to produce from the clubs - they boast Tour Zip Grooves & Laser Milled technology to produce more spin, which sounds very impressive. Howwever, I was able to immediately see the results.

I was also pleased to learn more about the gap between my wedges, and decided to buy 2 wedges from the Cleveland 588 range, with a smaller gap between them (52 & 56 degrees), as well as changing the bounce on the higher wedge to help to get out of rough lies.

The proof, of course, came from the course, where I have been playing the 2 new wedges for 3 weeks. My shorter chips from just off the green are now 'checking' rather than running past the hole, and fuller swings are producing backspin when hitting the greens rather than rolling on a few yards.

I'm also pleased to have shot 2 personal bests this past bank holiday weekend, and having more confidence with my wedges definitely helped to shoot those scores!

Last edited:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have the 588 RTX rotex wedges, stunning is all I can say.

Once I got my technique sorted these things gripped like crazy, must have got up and down 7 times today + a chip in.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Currently go between a 56º Wilson FG Tour wedge and a Cleveland CG16 56º with tour zip grooves and laser milled face and cant say that the spin is ant different. More down to technique. I have a pretty repeatable wedge swing and as above dont see much difference if any from either wedge.
The Clevelands are good, no doubt but so are the FG Tour wedges.

PS: When did you meet Alan Carr? :D