Chuffed - well just a little bit.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Went out for my usual Friday evening game. Decided to leave the MP600 at home and took out the old MX500. Reason being that the MP600 was generating some push fades 7 out of 10 times, which was costing me shots. I know it's not the tools fault, but what the heck, the 500 needed an airing.

The 600 had the distance, but I needed more accuracy.

First 3 holes, all gross parred, all with single putts. That's a 4, 5, 4, to start the card off. Naturally I was chuffed to bits, though the driver was only needed for the 3rd hole.

Upshot was I finished with a gross 95 on the new course. Including 5 penalties for wayward tee shots, only one of which was with the driver, the rest were with the 5 wood.

3 tee shots were near as damn it 300 yards. I'm not one for who can hit the furthest etc. But that really surprised me.

I was also playing with a V1x that I'd found. Having lost my two freebie ones, I was chuffed to have another one to use. I really like these balls, and until recently I would have said that it was an unsuitable ball for me. I just wish I could justify using them, or more to the point, buying them to the Mrs! :( (Also used the V1 towards the end when the V1x went AWOL.)

As for the 95. That's almost 14 shots off of last years average, and a new all time record for me.

The reason. Multiple really. First and foremost, trying to understand my swing better, and trying to work with it, rather than against it. I tend to have an inside to out swing path, and my MX19's, with the huge offset weren't helping. An excuse for new clubs or a genuine 'reason'. I'm not sure. But in comes the MX300's and an instant difference. I used to play awful low hooks with everything. To the point of almost quitting this game. Now I only do it occasionally.

Grip. God, you've got to get this right, and was probably the main cause of the hooks, together with high offset clubs and a closed clubface.

Slowing the swing speed down, or rather, trying to make it smoother has helped massively. This is something that the Pro was trying to get me to do. The Power Sleeve that attaches to the shaft of the golf club helped do that. I just have to remember the same sensation when out on the course!

Being able to practice in the garden has helped the short game (not putting), as I have a net and mat set up. Okay I can't 'see' the results of where the ball will go, but I do get a feel of playing the shot. Consequently the 60 was going like a dream and the 52 wasn't making a fool of itself.

Obviously it's helped by the fact that I pretty much have the choice when it comes to deciding what to use to help me out of course. :)

Just posting a video of my swing on here was a huge benefit. Yes, I could spot the flaws myself, but it's great to have so much feedback, and Bob's comments are interesting from a Pros point of view.

I'm still no expert, and I'm still raking up penalty points. If I could just eradicate those and improve my putting, something that I admittedly do not practice at all much at the moment, then, personally I think an 80 is on the cards. Over ambitious? I don't know. But looking at the scorecard, I don't think so.

Apologies if it sounded a little like an info-mercial. I really tried for it not to be. I just wanted to try and explain that for all those struggling at the upper reaches of the h'cap scale, that there is hope. You just need to find a way that works for you.

All I need to do now is do it again, and again, and ....................

Apologies for rambling. (It's good to be back onto talking about golf again ;))

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Well done Graham.

Push-fade = clubface a little open, swingpath comes through pretty straight.

If you can get that in-to-out swingpath you mentioned then you should be hitting a push-draw.

Push-DRAW = clubface a little open, swingpath comes through from the inside out.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
No worries, what normally happens is when people start losing the ball to the right they try and straighten out their swingpath or (heaven forbid) try and hit the ball further left. Both things make the problem worse.

What you have to do is simply commit to the shot, make sure that the club DOES come from the inside then you will get the draw spin which will bring the ball back in.

Just commiting to the shot might work in itself, if not you can try any of these things which promote an inside path...

Move the ball back an inch.
Press the grip of the club forward a little through impact.
Raise your right heel off the ground.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Just commiting to the shot might work in itself, if not you can try any of these things which promote an inside path...

Move the ball back an inch.
Press the grip of the club forward a little through impact.
Raise your right heel off the ground.

Or, when you're practising, make sure your right elbow stays close to your right hip on the downswing.