Choosing the right irons?

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
This has been an interesting read, espeially with Dave's 'experiment' and his SGI Callys.

The only certainty is that as a beginner, what suits you now, may not suit you two years down the line. Both in looks and playability. It really depends what your 'stock' shot shape is, and what your ball striking is like.

Whatever you choose, you've got to be comfortsble with it at address. This is important simply for how it makes you feel stood over the things. It's also worth going for a 'brand'. This is not purely for 'snob' reasons, but for trade in and resale value further down the line.

I did a survey on here last year regarding the age of the clubs they play. I was surprised to see how many had irons that were less than two years old. So the above points are worth considering. (It appears we can't resist shiny new sticks!)

Fwiw. I started out with some Mizuno MX19's. Beginners clubs by any standard. Thicker top line, huge offset, large face, etc. They served me well to a point. My swing path and typical shot shape (a hook) weren't helped by the offset. So I changed to the Mizuno MX300's. Smaller, with less offset. I feel 100% better when stood over the things, and they generally respond better to the way I play. But it was trial and error with trying several different makes to find something I liked.

What suits one player, may not suit another, hence why I'm intrigued by Dave's experiment. Try whatever tickles your fancy, and enjoy the process. You might get lucky and find a club that sticks with you a bit longer than a couple of years.

But Dave's test proves that you don't have to be a high handicapper to still get the best out of super gi clubs.

Apologies for going on.

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
cheers for the advice so what do u think about the ping g2 irons

Use Ping G2's myself.. Very good clubs i think, i had started with a half set of G5's but missed the likes of the 4 iron so sold them and got myself a full set of G2's second hand and have not looked back.. They play and feel the same as the G5 not alot of difference in them.

Have a look on the ping web site for what colour dot you need, based on your height etc.

Tho personnaly i feel my G2's will do me till i get close down to 9 or 10.. (if that every happens lol)