choices Choices

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
I have 3 friends coming for a game in August so hopefully most courses should be in peak condition.

We have a list of courses to play, not to worries about cost. What we are looking for is a quality track, great food, excellent views / condition of non playing areas. Our handicaps are:

We will be using buggies so length not an issue.

What feedback can people give on the following courses to help us decide which to play:

Worsley Park (Manchester)
Formby Hall (Southport)
Portal (Cheshire)

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have 3 friends coming for a game in August so hopefully most courses should be in peak condition.

We have a list of courses to play, not to worries about cost. What we are looking for is a quality track, great food, excellent views / condition of non playing areas. Our handicaps are:

What feedback can people give on the following courses to help us decide which to play:

Formby Hall (Southport)
Portal (Cheshire)

Worsley Park (Manchester) - Nice course, very tight tree lines.
Formby Hall (Southport) - ok, but condition isnt great IMHO
Portal (Cheshire)[/QUOTE] - Always been nice when I go there and some nice holes.

Better courses, for me:-

Delamere - not too expensive on a twilight deal, and well worth it. Preston, Fairhaven )Blackpool), Pleasington (Blackburn), Reddish Vale(S Manchester), Warrington, Bolton old links are some of my personal favourites in the £30-£50 categories. I also believe Stockport is nice, but havent played it.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Have to disagree about Formby hall being in just ok condition. Been a joy to play every time I've been there.

Preston is a must for any golfer followed closely by Pleasington. Some seriously unforgettable holes.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Personally I'd put Preston way down the list. It's ok. Nothing special. Pleasington, Fairhaven, Clitheroe, Ormskirk etc... are a lot better IMHO.

If you've really no worries about cost then just have a look along the coastline, West Lancs / Formby / Hillside / S&A.

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally I'd put Preston way down the list. It's ok. Nothing special

Blimey, Never heard too many people say that about Preston - I really enjoyed it, thought it was a great place and superb condition. Each to their own though.

Back to the selections, cant comment on Portal but I'd agree with Gary - Formby Hall is a good enough knock and if you're there for a day then the grub in the bar is sublime and not overly expensive. Add to this the Par 3 course they have, (which isn't an easy course), I'd be plumbing for there as a full day out.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site

Formby Hall (Southport)
Portal (Cheshire)

Ive always enjoyed Portal but the last time I played there the greens were terrible, bare patches etc.
Worsley Park is nice but nothing special and I haven't played Formby Hall but I've heard good things about it.

Pleasington GC have just bought a fleet of buggys after building a bridge over the railway, you used to have to use a level crossing to play the 5 holes on the other side of the tracks.
They have a range, good practice areas and the food & facilities are superb.
Check it out In my Sig' below.. I think you'd have a good day there :thup: