Chipping

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Suffering a bit round the green at the moment! Been using the Dave Pelz, feet open, ball back in stance approach which did seem to work quite well as I was thinning the ball, but I have started having inconsistent results! Any foolproof methods I should look at? have tried ball in middle of stance, weight on left and rotate shoulders back and through towards target. Just feels a bit weird! Overthinking it way too much! Also tried right foot back slightly as I do this in main swing, felt comfortable but cant see this taught anywhere! My lesson with Barney Puttick for my driving on Friday proved I should stop tweaking, but never been a good chipper. Any drills that have helped others much appreciated

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've seen plenty excellent players chip from a closed stance, its surprisingly easy. Big Phils hinge and hold works for some. But for me I think we get too caught up in the technique of hitting the ball. Obviously you need to be able to strike the ball consistently but my chipping has improved massively by visualisating where it lands and runs, then picking something on the ground as my landing spot and just thinking about that. In fact I'd say it's hard to say I'm really looking at the ball. I am looking down I guess but my mind is firmly on that spot, and as a result of not over thinking what my hands arms feet etc are doing I make far better contact!

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've seen plenty excellent players chip from a closed stance, its surprisingly easy. Big Phils hinge and hold works for some. But for me I think we get too caught up in the technique of hitting the ball. Obviously you need to be able to strike the ball consistently but my chipping has improved massively by visualisating where it lands and runs, then picking something on the ground as my landing spot and just thinking about that. In fact I'd say it's hard to say I'm really looking at the ball. I am looking down I guess but my mind is firmly on that spot, and as a result of not over thinking what my hands arms feet etc are doing I make far better contact!

Thanks for reply! Makes really good sense, I get fixated on ball, position, rotation etc! Your method sounds a lot simpler! I might stick to closed stance as it works throughout my swing, but concentrate on the landing spot and visualisation. Much appreciated

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would suggest linear chipping obviously but there was an interesting video from Me and My Golf this week. Might be worth a go

I did see that and it looked an interesting approach! Tried it when I was waiting for my lesson on Friday and the results were encouraging. Thanks for reply