Chipping yips

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Went after work Garry and played a few holes. Took time at each to work on my chips and short pitches. I had spent an hour in the garden yesterday so was trying to take it to the course. I found it tough. Forcing myself to go through my routine properly Nd take time to pick a landing spot and not just rush to get the shot over. I tried to apply pressure in getting them up and down and found it ok in practice but on our par 5 third I had a 20 yard shot to play and I went and rushed and duffed it so it is a work in progress. I know I can do it, I just have to believe more. Getting my zen golf back I had lent to a friend do I'm hoping to get my breathing back under control which I'm hoping can slow my rhythm.
Thanks for asking and the advice, I really appreciate it.

im glad you found the time to practice. thats all it takes really. you are right in saying you should take your time. the chip really is the shot that defines what score you will make on the hole a large percentage of the time. you can get away with a bad drive by making up for it on the next shot. when you are faced with a chip, you really want to get as close as you can to make the putt that much easier. take that extra practice swing. why not? its better than an extra putt! :thup:

this is something i am going to try and keep it mind. :whoo:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I find ensuring the clubhead does not pass the hands is vital to making a good chip shot. Once the clubhead gets ahead of the hands you are striking the ball on the upswing and then it's 'Thin City'

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Went after work Garry and played a few holes. Took time at each to work on my chips and short pitches. I had spent an hour in the garden yesterday so was trying to take it to the course. I found it tough. Forcing myself to go through my routine properly Nd take time to pick a landing spot and not just rush to get the shot over. I tried to apply pressure in getting them up and down and found it ok in practice but on our par 5 third I had a 20 yard shot to play and I went and rushed and duffed it so it is a work in progress. I know I can do it, I just have to believe more. Getting my zen golf back I had lent to a friend do I'm hoping to get my breathing back under control which I'm hoping can slow my rhythm.
Thanks for asking and the advice, I really appreciate it.

you really shouldn't be aware of your breathing at all - indicative of someone 'overthinking it' in a big way, which is a natural reaction to the belief that it's difficult and/or you are doing it wrong.

Snelly's approach is as good as any, and Bob's drill referenced earlier is excellent to get a positive stroke going and a consistent contact.

I'm surprised that the suggestion of video hasn't cropped up - I find it hugely useful in the garden to enable me to understand exactly what I am doing (wrong) rather than leaving me with the general belief that it's 'all wrong'. It can be hugely revealing. Critically it also enables me to stop thinking about what I'm doing step by step because I know I can see it all afterwards - and the focus, as Snelly says, is simply on club hitting ball.

One other drill is to put a physical barrier behind the swing to instill the appropriate length of back swing.

It really is a matter of re-building confidence so that you welcome the opportunity to chip/pitch and show off your skill!

Last edited:

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Saw a video from Nick Faldo recently, he advocated using a putter grip and stance for chipping, standing similar distance from the ball as putting, and effectively hitting the toe end of the club.i tried it and found it very useful to create a good contact all the time. Almost impossible for me to chunk it, and after showing the technique to my doubles partner he has been having great success with it now.

I found it difficult to change full time to using it, mainly because my distance control went to pot. To relearn my distances wouldn't be hard though and certainly worth trying it for those worried about it.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
I like what snelly said as it makes sense. I have been using one club, and will do until I'm happy with it, trying to get practice in when I can so was garden tonight again and I'm for the club tomorrow so hopeful of some proper practice then.
Duncan, I find my breathing quickens as I'm worried about what's coming if I can control it I'm going to feel calmer over the ball. That's my hope anyways. Thanks again :)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Duncan, I find my breathing quickens as I'm worried about what's coming if I can control it I'm going to feel calmer over the ball. That's my hope anyways. Thanks again :)

appreciate that - what I was getting at was that you shouldn't be aware of the fact that your breathing is quickening; your mind is too open to what you are doing and what's happening instead od concentrated on the task in hand, which contributes to why it's going (')(')

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
you might want to think about weaking your grip slightly.

[video=youtube;18ns11HzCgI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18ns11HzCgI[/video]