Back to the game after 20 years

NedPizza

Visit site
Hi,
So as the title says, I'm slowly getting back into golf after 20 years. Currently just practicing at the range with a view to start playing on a short par 3 course.

I recently upgraded my irons, which I had for over 30 years! Bought a half set of Callaway Big Bertha 2006 irons. I know they're old clubs but I'm loving them compared to my old irons.

The only problem is, I find with age (55 years old) the back of my right hand hurts when I practice.

I was wondering if going from steel shaft to graphite would help with this? Thanks.

Fabia999

Visit site
It might be from just getting back into golf, use of muscles that haven't been used in a while? I presume you hit 100/150 balls at the range one after another, gets strenuous after a while.

Graphite shafts are lighter, I imagine it would help but I'm not sure by how much.

D

Deleted member 21258

Would imagine as per Fabia999 above.

Welcome back to golf, enjoy(y)

NedPizza

Visit site
It might be from just getting back into golf, use of muscles that haven't been used in a while? I presume you hit 100/150 balls at the range one after another, gets strenuous after a while.

Graphite shafts are lighter, I imagine it would help but I'm not sure by how much.

I normally just do one bucket 35 balls and then hit the putting green. Hopefully it's just as you say the muscles need to be used again.

NedPizza

Visit site
Would imagine as per Fabia999 above.

Welcome back to golf, enjoy(y)

It was coming out of lockdown that pushed me back to golf. Really enjoying the range and I think with age I'm swinging slower which has actually helped me hit the driver and 3 wood better :)

Been reading through all the treads on here and can't believe how much things have changed in the last 20 years, especially the clubs. In my day there was PW and SW, now I see there's all sort, all very technical but so much good info on here.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Welcome back to the game.

Repeated actions off hard mats to which you are not accustomed can lead to a repetitive strain injury - be careful.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Agree re the RSI possibility - so take it easy.
It's also possible that graphite shafts could cause more problems than they solve. Normally, at least to me, somewhat stiffer than equivalent flex in steel - it's the shaft length of woods that make them feel 'flexible'.