Chipping - taking a small chunk of turf and ball going nowhere

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I got extremely frustrated yesterday at my chipping. I've had lessons recently and all was going well at my home course. I was playing at a different course to normal yesterday, and the rain had been very heavy overnight so the ground was wet.

The best way to describe it was that my club was nicking a small 2inch by 2inch patch of turf under each chip, so my ball would go no further than 2 foot. This happened 3 times over 4 holes, so I went back to a chip and run type chipping rather than up and down.

My question is simple, is the problem the ground or me?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I got extremely frustrated yesterday at my chipping. I've had lessons recently and all was going well at my home course. I was playing at a different course to normal yesterday, and the rain had been very heavy overnight so the ground was wet.

The best way to describe it was that my club was nicking a small 2inch by 2inch patch of turf under each chip, so my ball would go no further than 2 foot. This happened 3 times over 4 holes, so I went back to a chip and run type chipping rather than up and down.

My question is simple, is the problem the ground or me?

You

Cheifi0

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Have to agree. If your contacting ball first the ground conditions won't cause the ball to only go 2 foot no matter how wet it is.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Which is what I was worried everyone would say.

It seems strange, I was able to chip well around the practice chipping area and all week at my own course!!

Every shot is a combination of technique equipment and conditions - and the latter can permit/enable/work with some combinations of the other two, but present risks with others.

Most of the time you are looking to minimise risks with chipping so you may wish to revise your technique or chosen equipment in some conditions ☺

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe the rain impacted your tech sub consciously? Sounds to me like you were decel into the ball, head coming up looking too soon. Weight shifted to right side causing u to try to help the ball in the air.
Bit more practice from your lessons and more confidence should help though I reckon.

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There's a lot been said on chipping recently on this forum. Do you have the ball more towards your back foot? If yes keep your weight on the front foot at address and keep it there, sounds like you could be also coming in too steep to the ball, try taking the club back low which will probably eliminate this
Another way is play the ball in the middle of your stance with weight forward and a weak left hand grip, this allows the bounce to stop the head from digging in and you get a higher ball flight. It takes a bit of practice to get your distances with each club using this method

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
it's likely going to be down to set-up & technique, either one or both.

things to consider checking out, instead of the chest being the 'engine' of motion with connected arms & maintaining the angle in the right hand into the strike
- it's possible the motion is getting a ways oversteep maybes both in takeback & AoA into the ball, so maybes a bunch of independent hand & arm motion happening that's encouraging this or/& little sway off the ball, weight moving to trail foot on takeback then with the shorter stroke motion won't be time to get weight back to lead side (ideally weight favors lead foot & stays there throughout the motion)

decent ground conditions will help disguise this as the sole can bounce a little ways so you get by with this kinda contact, but when it's wet & motion is oversteep you don't.