Chipping on the Putting Green

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
so let me get this right, if you chipped from off the green to a few inches and walked up and tapped the ball in with the same club (prob a wedge or similar) you would be penalised for 'chipping' on the green? unlikely I feel (answered it myself) but that then beggars the question 'what constitutes chipping'? a ball that leaves the surface? so if I chip on the green but this it along the ground its not a chip?

These guys are setting themselves up for problems:smirk:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
There are some circumstances where the shape of the green and the pin position mean that a putt to the hole or even the close proximity of the hole is impossible. I would be cheesed off if I didn't have the opportunity to chip. There are plenty of other situations where a putt is not impossible but difficult and/or risky and a chip would be a safer option. I would be cheesed off but more accepting.

Such a LR may well set up a club for issues - but actually more importantly for me is that the LR contravenes the spirit and a basic tenet of the game - the player can play whatever club they choose at any time.

You have to trust the sense and skill of a player. I might not play a lob wedge shot were my ball on the green - because I wouldn't trust myself not to take a gouge out of the green - but I might well want to play a little 7i bump and run.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
We have a board up near the starter's hut suggesting that slow play will be penalised, but since no-one is out with the groups to see who it is or time anyone, the penalty applies to everyone in the group.

I'm keeping quiet for now because it appears to be having the desired effect, but I won't do if they ever try to add any strokes to my score.

I reckon you should get a Sharpie out and put a '^' and the words 'players behind' just ahead of the word 'Slow'! :D

That's what seems to be the case in my experience!