Building a practice green/chipping area

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi,

Another greenkeeper query I think, but interested if any clubs have gone through this. Course where I'm a member have a putting green, 18 hole course and a short 80 yd area you can practice shots, but no practice green for chipping etc. There are signs that there was one there in the past but it's just grown out.

Question is, how hard is it to build a green and practice area (thinking one bunker etc) from scratch for a greens team once lockdown is lifted? Likewise what sort of cost does it take if the club need additional funds?

Final one, do people care for them. I'd love one to pop up and practice occasionally (was always used at a previous club i was a member but less so a second club when it was slightly out of mind round the back of the clubhouse) but I know for many practice isn't really a thing.

Just after some thoughts whether its reasonable to raise it or not (again once this crisis has passed given I expect money may be tighter currently).

Cheers

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
if you look on line it's a right job. Layering and whatnot. Then the right grass. Then the right, expensive mower. Yes I've looked. Don't bother.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Hi,

Another greenkeeper query I think, but interested if any clubs have gone through this. Course where I'm a member have a putting green, 18 hole course and a short 80 yd area you can practice shots, but no practice green for chipping etc. There are signs that there was one there in the past but it's just grown out.

Question is, how hard is it to build a green and practice area (thinking one bunker etc) from scratch for a greens team once lockdown is lifted? Likewise what sort of cost does it take if the club need additional funds?

Final one, do people care for them. I'd love one to pop up and practice occasionally (was always used at a previous club i was a member but less so a second club when it was slightly out of mind round the back of the clubhouse) but I know for many practice isn't really a thing.

Just after some thoughts whether its reasonable to raise it or not (again once this crisis has passed given I expect money may be tighter currently).

Cheers
I think the first question, as you've touched on , is Does anyone actually want one?
The fact that it seems they had one which has grown over doesn't give the impression that they do....
Worth asking but dont be surprised if the answer is negative...