Chipping grip

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does anyone on here chip using their putting grip, or do you just grip the club normally for chipping like all other iron shots.

Are there any benefits to using a putting grip ?

London mike 61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
When I chip I'm normally standing closer to the ball so the club is more upright with a flatter sole so the grip is more putter style. Because the feet are closer together the ball is further back so it makes the grip feel like a pitching grip. Hope that makes sense.

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I chip I'm normally standing closer to the ball so the club is more upright with a flatter sole so the grip is more putter style. Because the feet are closer together the ball is further back so it makes the grip feel like a pitching grip. Hope that makes sense.
When you are standing closer is there not a tendency for only the toe of the club to be on the ground, instead of all the flat portion of the sole ?

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not one to be pedantic but that is a grip for a high pitch, OP was questioning chipping grips

For a short chip green side I tend to hold the club more upright and use more of putting style grip as I get more feel this way.

Can you describe how you get more feel??

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not one to be pedantic but that is a grip for a high pitch, OP was questioning chipping grips

For a short chip green side I tend to hold the club more upright and use more of putting style grip as I get more feel this way.

danny willet talking about his practice wedge that has a putter grip on it. this ensures he doesn't have too strong a grip when chipping, pitching etc.

[video=youtube;HBySO-yuuDc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBySO-yuuDc[/video]

2mins 45secs.