Chess

• Thread starter Deleted member 25172
  • Start date

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My daily brain workout is Wordle followed by the daily puzzle on Chess.com. I was rated about 1300 many years ago. Love the game but never that good at it. I'm more of a creative thinker rather than a logical one.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Ok, I joined but it turns out I am bad. On 839 now because someone has defaulted after losing their queen in a stupid move, also got a win by getting someone to time out who was dominating, and stole a draw by trapping my king and losing pawns on purpose. Other than that lots of losses. Not sure I would join a plan, but would be interesting what the analysis shows or what the training gives me.

D

Deleted member 25172

Ok, I joined but it turns out I am bad. On 839 now because someone has defaulted after losing their queen in a stupid move, also got a win by getting someone to time out who was dominating, and stole a draw by trapping my king and losing pawns on purpose. Other than that lots of losses. Not sure I would join a plan, but would be interesting what the analysis shows or what the training gives me.

I might be wrong, but think you may start in a default rating which is then adjusted the more games you play. I see that I apparently have had 1,066 as my highest rating, but there’s absolutely no chance that I could’ve legitimately had that rating. I’m currently just over 800 and that’s been through working through match after match after match against similar rated players.

Found this very addictive and gonna have to start reading up more around strategy and practice if I’m to be any better (or less bad). :)

I am on a plan and find it quite useful to check after games what and where things went wrong, besides the real obvious mistakes. Think I do pick up a thing or two subconsciously from doing that.

D

Deleted member 25172

Reached a new high this morning as I for the first time managed to crawl to a rating of 904. On a roll currently with 8 straight wins, of which 3 of them have had a rating of 900+, with the top win against a guy on 962.

Sure I'll follow this up with losing about 10 in a row or so soon.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I used to play chess when I was a lot younger. For me it's one of those games that I have to be in the mood to play, probably because of the thinking aspect.
But I did play the other day, with my 8 year old grandson. He's a clever lad and boy did I have to think!
He kept saying to his Nana, "Isn't grandad slow"! When it was his turn he'd come over to the table, have a quick look and play, then go back to another game he was playing. He had me in check a few times, which I didn't see coming!
But eventually he lost his queen, which I put down to not concentrating enough.
I eventually won but it was tough going! It didn't help that his chess pieces were Homer Simpson themed, which I found a tad off putting figuring which piece was which!
I enjoyed playing again but I'm sure he'll want his revenge! ?.

I also watched Queens Gambit and thoroughly enjoyed it, I thought she was very cool!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I played at school and joined a club many moons ago. Was ok but nothing special. Best rating was 120 but that was chess’s equivalent of congu, not sure how it relates to the ones being mentioned here.

I played on gameknot.com a few years ago. You could have multiple games in progress, log in each day and make a move then log in again the next day.
I got the hump with them and left when I was penalised for not making a move in time when I had no internet access for a few days.

I’ll take a look at chess.com, thanks.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I played at school and joined a club many moons ago. Was ok but nothing special. Best rating was 120 but that was chess’s equivalent of congu, not sure how it relates to the ones being mentioned here.

I played on gameknot.com a few years ago. You could have multiple games in progress, log in each day and make a move then log in again the next day.
I got the hump with them and left when I was penalised for not making a move in time when I had no internet access for a few days.

I’ll take a look at chess.com, thanks.
I have played a few games. It is quite addictive. When you ask for a match after a few games you seem to play somebody of similar ability. if you win your ranking increases.

I am not very good and reached around 800.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If anyone is still playing but frustrated at the limitations of not paying for a subscription, I found an app (also can play on website) called Lichess.

All free, as many puzzles as you want, a really strong engine to analyse games, tournaments etc.
Maybe not as many users as chess.com but I’ve not struggled to find a game yet.