"Cheating"; "Cheater"

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Don't remember that happening

Correct people twisted it as time up wasn't called at exactly 3 minutes and because the "time" wasn't accurately kept everyone assumed that it was over 3 minutes when the ball was declared last and not 2.25 minutes! In fact I believe it was inferred that anyone who doesn't keep accurate time is a leather wedge using cheat.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Utter nonsense as far as my conributions were concerned, but really, what is the pointing of going all over this again? As the song says, "Let it be".

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
This thread was not meant to be a continuation of the three minute thread. If your comment belongs in that thread, please put it there, not here.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Do you consider that your personal responsibility or is it up to the Committee? Is someone taking a gimme of four inches in casual stroke play to be "called out"?
How else is the committee going to find out unless someone reports them?
And to your second question.........no

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would hazard a guess ( note the guess bit) that 99.9 % of golfers do not know 99.9% of the rules. In essence it is a game for gentlemen and ladies, where integrity is a fundamental part of the game. If you as a player are not sure of a ruling or situation that may arise. You can find out. The problem arises when some players use said fore mentioned integrity as a weakness and knowingly cheat. At that point, a cheat is a cheat.
That said 99.9% of golfers play with the integrity this great game deserves.
I think the problem is the vast majority of golfer know most of the rules - I'm more at 80:20 - but they are a living thing and evolve. I was bought up short when I attended an EG Rules School and realised I hadn't looked at them for a long time in detail. The new rules only add to this but my experience in updating groups of members is that many of the queries were in areas effectively unaltered.

The old Decisions book is the classic example of this - so much bigger than the rules book and so detailed. All referees I know had to go and check on occasion - even if it was to prove to a doubter they were right. The new interpretations are also coming out regularly so life (and rules) move on.

Are their cheat ins golf (or any sport) - of course and if observed should be challenged. However, my experience in the majority are genuine mistakes made in trying to deal with a new situation or incident and when pointed out, are happy to take their medicine.

This is a world away from the real cheats who are going to despite the rules.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
In forums I find that the use of these words is a much greater reflection on the person using them than any person, or group, at which they are addressed.

In real life use them at your peril...

Wolf

Visit site
In answer to Rulie original post I don't believe anyone should be called a cheat without factual proof.

That job is usually for committees to decide after gaining the required evidence. Yet here in the forum we know that's not what happens more likely is when someone has a differing opinion, or isn't one of the cool gang 🤔

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
No I'd say it was when they were told "you carry on cheating then"

It seemed to have the desired effect, not many posts later they were beginning to change the tone of their posts to one of compliance to the rules and an intention to check by timing the search

Wolf

Visit site
It seemed to have the desired effect, not many posts later they were beginning to change the tone of their posts to one of compliance to the rules and an intention to check by timing the search
Yet it didn't did it because the desiree affect was to still accuse people further in the thread, tell them what they were doing still wasn't good enough. The thread continued long after.

But if you feel it's OK to accuse people of cheating that's on you, especially when you then say to a friend you know they'll do their utmost to play to rules showing a huge double standard which imo is as bad as your accusations I'm not going to be drawn into another debate about it here as that will derail another thread further.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
You can’t have an honest conversation about the rules without being able to call those who flagrantly break them cheats.

Law of averages, we have some cheats on this forum. That’s just a mathematical probability. Very few would ever admit it openly but if and when they do admit that on purpose or by accident then they should be called that.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Yet it didn't did it because the desiree affect was to still accuse people further in the thread, tell them what they were doing still wasn't good enough. The thread continued long after.

But if you feel it's OK to accuse people of cheating that's on you, especially when you then say to a friend you know they'll do their utmost to play to rules showing a huge double standard which imo is as bad as your accusations I'm not going to be drawn into another debate about it here as that will derail another thread further.

I actually can't believe that someone has stooped so low as to accuse someone as being a cheat on the internet! I assume he has never even met/played golf with you?

The double standards and blatant discrimination on this board really is obvious for all to see these days. Amazing what some get away with.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
You can’t have an honest conversation about the rules without being able to call those who flagrantly break them cheats.

Law of averages, we have some cheats on this forum. That’s just a mathematical probability. Very few would ever admit it openly but if and when they do admit that on purpose or by accident then they should be called that.

Surely an accidental breach is not enough to be classed a cheat?

To me an accidental breach is where someone admits what they have done and is then disqualified due to a breach? That is an error and a learning curve? If someone making an error or mistake is enough to be labelled a cheat I think we're on very dangerous ground.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Surely an accidental breach is not enough to be classed a cheat?

To me an accidental breach is where someone admits what they have done and is then disqualified due to a breach? That is an error and a learning curve? If someone making an error or mistake is enough to be labelled a cheat I think we're on very dangerous ground.

I said admit it accidentally. Not commit the act accidentally.