Changing your natural tempo?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm not sure whether you'd class tempo but I have a question on it.

Is changing your natural tempo a good thing?

Is it best to work with your natural tempo, be it fast or slow, or try and work towards a more moderate approach?

I myself have a moderate/quick tempo. When I try and slow it down, my swing 'feels' un-natural and contrived.

I've been told I have a moderate to quick tempo, but when I get too quick, that's when I have issues.

Just curious as to your thoughts on this subject.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I would never try and change someones tempo.
I would however try and keep whatever tempo they have, smooth, controlled and balanced.
So whether you are a Nick Price, Ian poulter, Ernie Els or Vijay Singh.....keep it smooth

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Natural tempo is your natural tempo
Try and change it and Lord knows what might happen

All the best players play to a tempo of 3:1 - 3 parts backswing : 1part downswing regardless of tempo
That's what makes a good player - keeping that tempo no matter how fast or slow it is.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I would never try and change someones tempo.
I would however try and keep whatever tempo they have, smooth, controlled and balanced.
So whether you are a Nick Price, Ian poulter, Ernie Els or Vijay Singh.....keep it smooth

Forgive the daft question Bob.

How can/do you make a fast, or agressive tempo'd swing more smooth?

I always think of Freddie Couples, Ernie Els, even Luke Donald when considering smooth swings. I wouldn't class Tommy Gainey or Ted Potter Jnr's as smooth yet they get the ball around pretty well.

A

Alex1975

Natural tempo is your natural tempo
Try and change it and Lord knows what might happen

All the best players play to a tempo of 3:1 - 3 parts backswing : 1part downswing regardless of tempo
That's what makes a good player - keeping that tempo no matter how fast or slow it is.

You just get way to technical for me....