Changing Ping Driver Shafts

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
One of my playing partners has a Ping I20 and is looking to change the shaft from a standard Ping regular shaft to the standard Ping stiff shaft. He went online and bought the exact same shaft as is currently in the driver in stiff but the club pro will not change it. He thinks that the shaft that he has bought may be a different size and does not want to risk damaging the current shaft when he pulls it and leaving this bloke without a club. Suggested he was better off selling the club and shaft and buying a new one.

Is there any truth to this or has he got the hump because he did not buy the shaft from him or is looking to sell him a new one.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I bought a Diamana shaft for my Ping i15 driver off of a forum member, he kindly changed it for me and it now works beautifully (sadly not often in my hands), don't see where the problem is?

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I had the shaft in my k15 changed from the standard tfc shaft to a diamana blueboard and in my g20 I went from a tfc tour to a Fujikura Motore f3. Basically he is talking rubbish.

m9wst

Head Pro
Visit site
Agree with all the above, I have an i20 which had the tfc shaft in and I've recently had an Accra shaft put in it, no problems. Tell him to take it elsewhere.

MGL

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mygolf.me
Pings can be difficult clubs to work on. Its not just the tip size that you need to consider but the inside of the head it is going into - different internal collar sizes, different ferrule sizes, etc. I will tell you now that a lot of Pings get 'bodged' with special shims, wrongly sized collar ferrules, etc. so the Pro has probably just had his fingers burned in the past and is wary of touching one again. I wouldn't hang him for it!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pings can be difficult clubs to work on. Its not just the tip size that you need to consider but the inside of the head it is going into - different internal collar sizes, different ferrule sizes, etc. I will tell you now that a lot of Pings get 'bodged' with special shims, wrongly sized collar ferrules, etc. so the Pro has probably just had his fingers burned in the past and is wary of touching one again. I wouldn't hang him for it!

Sounds fair enough. Would never know that and it would certainly explain why he was unwilling to work on it. That said, should there be any problem if he has bought the idential, standard Ping TFC shaft to the one already in it only in stiff rather than regular.

T

thecraw

It'll be the same tip size. Sounds a bit like sour grapes that he didn't get a sale.