Changing loft on driver

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all

I have an M4 driver. Happy with the club but inconsistent.

Do people adjust lofts on driver? Does that make you more consistent?

I have gone between standard (10.5’) and 11.25’.

10.5’ to me is more distance - approx 15 yards. Although it does feel like when I have a really bad day it’s in this setting. Bad day is hooks and slices so horrible both sides.

11.25’ although shorter and not quite as wild but still miss both sides.

I know answer is a lesson but i COVID to think about so do not want to be close to someone

C

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi all

I have an M4 driver. Happy with the club but inconsistent.

Do people adjust lofts on driver? Does that make you more consistent?

I have gone between standard (10.5’) and 11.25’.

10.5’ to me is more distance - approx 15 yards. Although it does feel like when I have a really bad day it’s in this setting. Bad day is hooks and slices so horrible both sides.

11.25’ although shorter and not quite as wild but still miss both sides.

I know answer is a lesson but i COVID to think about so do not want to be close to someone

C

More loft usually improves accuracy and gives more height, unless the lower loft is one you simply can't flight in which case more loft may be longer too.
Adding loft usually also closes the face on TM adjustable drivers, so it may reduce your tendency to hit it right.

Your pro can give a lesson with social distancing. If you are all that worried about Covid, probably best not to go to the golf course at all.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
More loft generally means less side spin so straighter shots.

Are the hooks hooks or pulls.

Slices and pulls come from a similar problem hitting from out to in the only difference being the club face angle at impact.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
0.75 of a degree.
I reckon my dynamic loft can easily vary 2 or 3 degrees between shots.
Then again much of this game is played bewteen the ears...

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
0.75 of a degree.

Yeah, but if the bottom end of that range is a loft you don’t have the clubhead speed or angle of attack to flight, then a bit extra might make a difference. Still will have some variability, obviously.

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
More loft usually improves accuracy and gives more height, unless the lower loft is one you simply can't flight in which case more loft may be longer too.
Adding loft usually also closes the face on TM adjustable drivers, so it may reduce your tendency to hit it right.

Your pro can give a lesson with social distancing. If you are all that worried about Covid, probably best not to go to the golf course at all.

Thanks. Flight not an issue with either. Makes sense about the accuracy.

In terms of COVID. It’s a balance for me as have family to think of. I can go golf on my own or with one or two others and social distance. I am happy with that but don’t want to risk more.

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
More loft generally means less side spin so straighter shots.

Are the hooks hooks or pulls.

Slices and pulls come from a similar problem hitting from out to in the only difference being the club face angle at impact.

More pulls than hooks. Ever now and again I hook but more common is the 20 yard pull!

Last edited:

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
0.75 of a degree.

I know I don’t put same swing and it’s me that the issue...just looking for any little help

And completely agree it’s between the ears....

Diamond

Visit site
Something I tried today was a shorter back swing but I am not looking for length just accuracy.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you keep doing what your doing you will keep getting the same result.
Changing the loft will help yes but it’s your swing that’s the issue.
You know that I think.
One thing that really helped me is slow your backswing down and a slight pause at the top.
Then just swing through the ball, if you get the backswing right everything else will follow ( In theory)
It just makes you think about it more.
Good luck.

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you keep doing what your doing you will keep getting the same result.
Changing the loft will help yes but it’s your swing that’s the issue.
You know that I think.
One thing that really helped me is slow your backswing down and a slight pause at the top.
Then just swing through the ball, if you get the backswing right everything else will follow ( In theory)
It just makes you think about it more.
Good luck.

I do. I am just trying to paper over the cracks at the moment.

When you pause do you come to stop or just really slow momentum if that makes sense?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I find no two people are the same

My playing partner uses a cobra f9 driver set at 12 degree and gets a nice low to mid flight

I play with a cobra f7 set at 9.5 degree and I get a high to medium height (very straight tho)

All what loft you deliver to the ball I guess

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do. I am just trying to paper over the cracks at the moment.

When you pause do you come to stop or just really slow momentum if that makes sense?
It probably looks no different to anyone else.
But to me feels totally different.
I try to take the club back smooth.
I have a tendency to attack from the top and get my hands to far ahead of the club head at impact. ( driver)
This usually ends up in a push fade.
Or to much hands a hook.
Just thinking of a pause gives me time to get the club head back with a nice tempo.
Been a single figure golfer for 35 yrs I have done ok with this thought.
You tube Fred Couples or Ernie Els for a swing to watch it’s all in the tempo.
But what you think is going on is not always what is.
I think it’s Matsuyarma on the PGA tour now he does have a pause at the top.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I am a tinkerer and so resisted getting any form of adjustable club for ages knowing the urge would be to keep tweaking the settings. If I had been fitted for a driver, my take would be why change it if the fitter has worked out your optimum fit. If not surely changing it regularly is just adding more confusion and doubt

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I recently adjusted my driver from 10.5 to 11.5. It worked well last weekend, today it was only ok. But I do hit a few drives slightly thin and low, and a few other drives a bit too far right, and the higher loft tends to help with both issues. So going to stick with it for now. I really doubt that I lose much distance, I'd bet that it carries slightly further and rolls less to even out roughly the same.