Changing Grip - Really struggling with it

Sekiro

Visit site
I had a lesson last week and the pro has tweaked my grip, my hand position has been moved ever so slightly so that my left hand now sits more on top of the grip than down the side of it. I’ve been to the range a few times and even played on Thursday but I’m really struggling with the change of grip. It feels strangely uncomfortable and almost like my hand wants to rotate left into the old position I had (sometimes it does causing some very “interesting” shots...). The change also feels like it’s messed up my positioning, how hard I’m gripping and even the tempo of my swing, I feel “all to pot“ with everything when setting up with the new grip position and it’s messing my head up.

I’ll attach a photo, although apologise in advance as I’m having to use my iPhone on a timer to capture this and it’s surprisingly more difficult to get into position and holding the club before the timer goes off (no chance of getting into full stance lol!), hopefully it’s good enough to give an indication of what the change between the two grips is.

1F3053BE-3316-4875-B9B1-857A18658294.jpeg

It’s possible one of a few things;-

1), I’ve not remembered the change correctly and I’m doing my own thing (more likely than you’d think!).

2), I’ve gripped the club the other way too long which is making this change feel horrible.

3), I’ve not gave it enough time to adjust and should keep at it.

4), I should just give up with golf and go back to rock climbing lol!.

5), Something you guys are going to notice and offer advice with ;)

After hitting £2’s worth of balls this afternoon and getting myself all frustrated with it I decided to just go home and take a break as nothing seemed to be working (usually I hit another £1’s worth, then practice some bunker/chipping shots and go through my putting drills but I’d had enough).

I’d appreciate any help or advice to either correct what I‘m doing wrong or to make this feel more natural/comfortable.

Last edited:

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m doing the same thing, strengthening the grip (amongst other things) to try and get rid of my slice. I find it easier sometimes to grip the club when it is in the 9 o’clock position than at address sometimes. Also, maybe go pack to your pro and ask him to draw some lines on your glove when’re the grip should sit, to give yourself a visual cue. Above all, persevere. All changes feel very unnatural at first, and it is only through repetition tha we ingrain the habits. Just make sure you are repeating the correct things

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Interesting, I had a lesson 2 months ago and had to do the same thing. I was told my grip was weak.
Pro told me to have a least 3 knuckles showing on my left hand. He said gone are the days of 2 knuckles a lot of the pros have strong grips, Matty Fitzpatrick, Rory to name.
The flight is stronger with more penetration.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Interesting, I had a lesson 2 months ago and had to do the same thing. I was told my grip was weak.
Pro told me to have a least 3 knuckles showing on my left hand. He said gone are the days of 2 knuckles a lot of the pros have strong grips, Matty Fitzpatrick, Rory to name.
The flight is stronger with more penetration.

Can’t speak to Fitzpatrick but Rory and Dustin, who have stronger grips also have intense gym and fitness routines to go with the grip.

Obviously I don’t know what the OP’s pro is trying to achieve but that looks to me like a hideously strong left hand grip, the old one looking a little weak as fundy said. I was always taught that the line between the thumb and forefinger should point somewhere between the right ear and the right shoulder.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tweaked my grip just today, out of nowhere my slight miss right had turned into straight right shots, 45* offline and low!

Well I realised I was opening the face a little on the downswing as even good shots were going right, so I strengthend my left hand a touch and BOOM straight shots now missing 5 yards left.

A quick tweak in my aim and now I was missing a touch left or right at worst.

A grip recheck is always a good idea, I think mine had been getting worse hence me always missing right and struggling with an open face at impact.

I must be careful though, as im trying to ensure I don't come too much from the inside and a close face at impact can mask a poor swing path, if I start to get draws instead of fades then I need to act quick!

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Would love to see Bobmacs comments, not sure if its the picture angle but think you want to be somewhere in the middle of those 2, looks like you may have over strengthened to me

I'm with Fundy, the after looks like a pretty strong grip from that angle. That's what my pro is trying to get me away from. I was always told that if the grip feels comfortable, it's wrong.....

Any grip change will take a while to bed in, it's been two seasons since mine was first changed. And I still find it uncomfortable, and regularly slip back into your after pic. Which results in a nasty duck hook for me. When I say regularly, I mean maybe once every two or three rounds, as opposed to every shot two years ago. Stick with it, go back and ask the pro to show you again, or make sure you've got it right, that shouldn't be another lesson. Or cost anything, just a follow up question/ check.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Dan Whitaker has just posted the swing of this young lad on Facebook. This grip is stronger than the one in the OP.

You can play golf with this kind of grip.

Screenshot_20200905-205053_Samsung Internet.jpg

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My right hand is always strong. Literally cant do anything about it.

My left hand has moved from weak when I started. To uber strong. Back to weak now it's back to pretty strong.

Funny old game.

Sekiro

Visit site
I’ll drop my pro an email with the above photo attached as its possible I’ve made too drastic of a change beyond what was advised and that might be why I’m struggling with it, I’ll try weakening it ever so slightly to see how that feels when I warm up tomorrow. I would upload a swing video with the difference between the two swings but I’ll end up in one of them “strangest swing” clip videos... although if anyone wants to go half’s on £250 come video me on the first tee tomorrow .:p

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a lesson last week and the pro has tweaked my grip, my hand position has been moved ever so slightly so that my left hand now sits more on top of the grip than down the side of it. I’ve been to the range a few times and even played on Thursday but I’m really struggling with the change of grip. It feels strangely uncomfortable and almost like my hand wants to rotate left into the old position I had (sometimes it does causing some very “interesting” shots...). The change also feels like it’s messed up my positioning, how hard I’m gripping and even the tempo of my swing, I feel “all to pot“ with everything when setting up with the new grip position and it’s messing my head up.

I’ll attach a photo, although apologise in advance as I’m having to use my iPhone on a timer to capture this and it’s surprisingly more difficult to get into position and holding the club before the timer goes off (no chance of getting into full stance lol!), hopefully it’s good enough to give an indication of what the change between the two grips is.

View attachment 32276

It’s possible one of a few things;-

1), I’ve not remembered the change correctly and I’m doing my own thing (more likely than you’d think!).

2), I’ve gripped the club the other way too long which is making this change feel horrible.

3), I’ve not gave it enough time to adjust and should keep at it.

4), I should just give up with golf and go back to rock climbing lol!.

5), Something you guys are going to notice and offer advice with ;)

After hitting £2’s worth of balls this afternoon and getting myself all frustrated with it I decided to just go home and take a break as nothing seemed to be working (usually I hit another £1’s worth, then practice some bunker/chipping shots and go through my putting drills but I’d had enough).

I’d appreciate any help or advice to either correct what I‘m doing wrong or to make this feel more natural/comfortable.

that's exactly what my pro did for me

I had your grip if not weaker

Switched the new grip

Took a while to bed in

Got my first handicap reduction

Much better ball striking

If I practiced more would be better but I play over practice

Keep at it. It's worth it

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ll drop my pro an email with the above photo attached as its possible I’ve made too drastic of a change beyond what was advised and that might be why I’m struggling with it, I’ll try weakening it ever so slightly to see how that feels when I warm up tomorrow. I would upload a swing video with the difference between the two swings but I’ll end up in one of them “strangest swing” clip videos... although if anyone wants to go half’s on £250 come video me on the first tee tomorrow .:p

To add as I didn't see this

When I went to him I had a slice

He got me to this grip to encourage a draw

He said the slice was a lot of things to correct. If I started to over draw or hook the ball it would be a minor tweek to correct

Apparently pros find it easier to correct a hook than a slice