Changing driver shaft adapter

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi All,

If i wanted to change the loft adapter on a driver shaft from say taylormade to ping, can this be done whilst maintaining the current length of the shaft? or does the current adapter have to be cut from the shaft to fit a new one? Cheers

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It can be done, you need to heat the adaptor /shaft tip gently, best done with a heat gun rather than an open flame like a blow torch.
When the epoxy melts the adaptor will slide off.
Clean the tip up with sandpaper and drill out any epoxy on the inside of the shaft (will create an air lock if you don't when you put new adapter on which will push it off)
Glue on the new adapter, if there is still an air lock, push a small screwdriver or something down the hole in the end of the grip as the tape may be blocking the end. ?
There may be a slight alteration in length as the adapters are all slightly different.
Whatever you do don't cut it off as you will essentially "tip" the shaft making it stiffer.
Hope that helps.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi All,

If i wanted to change the loft adapter on a driver shaft from say taylormade to ping, can this be done whilst maintaining the current length of the shaft? or does the current adapter have to be cut from the shaft to fit a new one? Cheers

I have done it changing a Mizuno tip to a callaway, I posted my method on here and was told I did it wrong. I basically used the gas hob and pliers... if your careful and I was, and don’t twist when you pull it works perfectly.
To this day that shaft and tip are installed and all is fine.
If you are afraid to do it yourself , go to some one who does this regularly... that doesn’t mean your club pro, because he will hand it to the assistant who has little or no skills or as stated previously he will do it poorly because he isn’t practiced at it.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Personally I wouldn’t be pulling a graphite shafts without a ‘puller’. Big risk of compromising the graphite and it snapping

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally I wouldn’t be pulling a graphite shafts without a ‘puller’. Big risk of compromising the graphite and it snapping
Yeah it is but then again if you know what they are you make your choices... I don’t have access to people who can do a job like this. I am also pretty useful with my hands, but don’t tell my wife because I have damn sight better things to do than diy.
We should be advising for sure but deterring or telling people they cannot do stuff is not the way forward. Advise on the risks, and let them take the judgement... a puller isn’t as risky, but it still can cause damage, ultimately it is the skill of the person doing the job.
So if your getting someone to do it for you, check out their handiwork and make sure they know what they are doing and don’t just have the toys. After all what’s more dangerous “all the gear and no idea “ or “ to have a clue and know what to do” ... you will find the latter in life is thin on the ground.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Yeah it is but then again if you know what they are you make your choices... I don’t have access to people who can do a job like this. I am also pretty useful with my hands, but don’t tell my wife because I have damn sight better things to do than diy.
We should be advising for sure but deterring or telling people they cannot do stuff is not the way forward. Advise on the risks, and let them take the judgement... a puller isn’t as risky, but it still can cause damage, ultimately it is the skill of the person doing the job.
So if your getting someone to do it for you, check out their handiwork and make sure they know what they are doing and don’t just have the toys. After all what’s more dangerous “all the gear and no idea “ or “ to have a clue and know what to do” ... you will find the latter in life is thin on the ground.

A puller will not do damage. Only damage you can do is overheat.

Graphite is woven and if you twist even slightly you can cause failure in the shaft. A shaft puller is a straight pull.