Changing clubs in bag?

fairmorn308

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well guys at the start of the year i took golf back up and decided to try something a wee bit different to what i did before i stopped

Previous:

Carried 2 iron / Pitching wedge 48 degree / sand wedge 56 degree and lob wedge 60 degree

This season:

Carried 19 degree Hybrid club / 48 degree pitching wedge / 52 degree sand wedge / 58 degree lob wedge

My plans are as follows but not sure yet but give it a try.

When i 1st got the hybrid i thought it was great and the last few weeks it has been just sitting in my bag and scared to take it out as dont have a clue what type of shot i will hit with it. Going to give it more of a chance off the Tee etc as i did buy it to replace to 2 iron.

Same goes with my 3 wood 15.5 degrees i was planning on ditching this and hybrid and carrying like a 5 wood around 18 degrees which would get the best of both words as the 5 wood is like a fairway wood.

Wedges:

Will keep 48 degree wedge but was planning on changing to 54 and 60 degree.

B

birdieman

Good call on the hybrid. I recently acquired a 4r 23 degree Cobra baffler and what a difference. I struggled for distance and a decent strike with the 3 and 4 iron particularly off the deck as opposed to off the tee but the hybrid is effortless to get the ball up really high and coming down soft. The 4r hybrid goes at least 10 yards better than my 4 iron but high so it carries bunkers easy then stops etc.
I also have a 17 deg hybrid which also goes well but I have to be aggressive with it or it can turn into a nasty hook if I try and tickle it.
Wegdes I go PW at 48, 53 gap and 58 lob/sand. That gives me more than enough options. Used to carry 4 wedges but it was overkill.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Had a change round myself in order to get a better balance through the set.
Changed my 3 wood for a 4. Just as long but a tad easier to hit. Out go the Callaway Fusion 5 wood and 23 degree hybrid and in come the G10 hybrids 21 and 24. They just seem to work so much better than the Callaways.
Keeping the X-20 5-pw for now but eyeing up some nice looking X-20 tours as a birthday pressie..
With the pw being 45 degree and me not quite able to open up the face of a wedge with any degree of certainty I've decided to go with Mizuno MPT 51 and 56 with the MPR 60. This, I think, covers most of the yardage gaps.

fairmorn308

Assistant Pro
Visit site
well been out 2nite and ditched the 3 wood and used to hybrid off the tee where it was needed and i was hitting it solid but need to work out which way i want to hit it all the time. i stand up and sometimes its a fade then next hole i setup for a fade and its a draw. a wee bit frustrating but i can hit it well. I did hit it off the deck on par 5 and carryed it all the way to green in 2 which i did like about it.

My driver still a bit iffy as i sometimes setup for a draw and slice/cut it and when i setup for a fade i end up hitting a draw. same as above so need to sort this out aswell then i will be really impressed. What i was impressed with was i hit my drive on a 490yard par 5 and left me with 145 yards to green. i was impressed.
My irons are mental was hitting them amazing 2night straight down the pin all the time and hitting them very well i was totaly impressed with them.

Wedges still a bit about these as still unable to judge distance properly with these and will let me down but i will just need to work on them. same goes with chipping.

Putting am slowly getting there.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Went out tonight and just hit a few 9 irons and 7 irons just trying to swing easier and turn properly. Felt like I really made progress. Then spent 30 minutes just playing around on the chipping area with my sand iron trying different shots with the ball in different positions, opening the face etc

T

thecraw

Its sometimes a fine line between success and total disaster with your bag set up.

I have settled now with a 3 wood and a 19 degree hybrid. At the start of the season I had a 4 wood and a 7 wood. Just feel that my bag is a better set up now and I'm confident that the long game is now covered.

Wedges is a different story though. Currently I have a 53 degree Mizuno and a 58 degree Mizuno wedge. However I am starting to feel that I should bin the 58 and buy a 56 degree. I never ever hit a full wedge and I dont think the 58 is versitile enough for me. I can easily open up the face a little with a 56 and the 56 is also ideal for bunker play, I know from previous clubs that I can play a punchy knock down with no bother if required.

Golf is a bloody infuriatingly expensive hobby!!!

B

birdieman

Wedges is a different story though. Currently I have a 53 degree Mizuno and a 58 degree Mizuno wedge. However I am starting to feel that I should bin the 58 and buy a 56 degree. I never ever hit a full wedge and I dont think the 58 is versitile enough for me. I can easily open up the face a little with a 56 and the 56 is also ideal for bunker play, I know from previous clubs that I can play a punchy knock down with no bother if required.

53/58 is good, 5 degrees between them, any less and it gets too fussy. Works well for me.
It's more the bounce than the loft which will influence bunker shots as whichever club you take into the bunker you're going to lay it so open it's almost flat so it's more like 80 degrees loft for greenside bunkers anyway.
You can still hit a 58 lower if you play it back in stance a bit. To me some of the high bounce 56 sand wedges are too heavy and easy to hit thin off the turf, sticking with my 58.

fairmorn308

Assistant Pro
Visit site
well am planning on changing my wedge setup as above am currently carrying 48 / 52 and 58 degrees between then and was planning on removing the 52 and 58 and going for a 54 and 60?

Also i ditched my 3 wood the other night and was playing last night and 2 rounds today and i never got into any way i would of needed it. Used to hybrid on the holes that was 360yards and less off the tee to allow me a good distance approach shot in and driver for longer ones.

Problem with the driver is i normally hit a wee draw, well be practicing it last week or so neway and i can pull it off but sometimes it comes off a bit hot and end up hitting a slice which isnt any good. I am hitting the driver high but long tho but in windy conditions i struggle a wee bit so this morning i ordered a new driver. I currently have the titleist 907 D1 model with 10.5 degree loft. and now ordered the 907 D2 model with 8.5 degree loft. Also ordered a new fairway wood of 18.5 degrees but i think i made a mistake buying this as am hitting the hybrid well and even off the deck aswell. But i cant cancel the order as there getting specially made and already made a start on it. oh well it will have to sit in the garage until i feel i need to use it tho.

T

thecraw

8.5 degree driver????????????????/

Flip me are you Greg Norman? Did you get yourself fitted if not I cant help but find that a crazy crazy decision.

A change of shaft may have been a more sensible option instead of an 8.5 degree driver. Good luck sir and God speed!

B

birdieman

Paddy Harrington uses 7.5 but he tees the ball way up high and forward in stance so sweeps the ball away on the upswing.
I find 10.5 too high-flying for me too so have gone back to 9.5.

T

thecraw

Well I'm a custom fitted 12 degree man and I dont hit the ball high!

And to be honest if I walked into the pro shop before my fitting session with Ping and said "I want a new driver please" and the pro handed me a 12 degree club I would have walked straight back out laughing!!!!

All about shaft and launch angle coupled with my very low spin rate!