Change Of Role Question

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you wanted ( DESPERATELY NEEDED) the role of a paid employee to change how can this be done legally without causing a cost to the company?

jdpjamesp

Q-School Graduate
www.jdpalmer.co.uk
To a large extent it will depend on the wording of the employee's contract. Mine specifically states that my role can be changed with x amount of notice. That x amount is the same as my notice period. In other words, I can bog off if I don't like it ;)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
A change of role may indicate that the original position is being made redundant. An employer should instigate a consultancy period, during which an open discussion should take place. Its not complex and, providing the employer is very open, nothing to worry about.

I have heard of one instance where an employee said they didn't want the role change, and the employer stupidly said are you looking to make yourself redundant? Employee resigned and sued for constructive dismissal. A bit of a stupid lose-lose situation...

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you wanted ( DESPERATELY NEEDED) the role of a paid employee to change how can this be done legally without causing a cost to the company?

Virtually impossible if you work for a local authority.

I managed it a few times though :whistle:.........but that was over 20 years ago.

I dressed one up as an unpaid promotion with a view to long term career benefit.
Another was quite easy as I warned the employ if he did not take the 'opportunity' he was likely to see his sworn enemy as his new boss.

Glad to say that both guys did really well for themselves.