change of irons

DR_golf

Visit site
i am about to change my old irons(big bertha 06's)due to my handicap coming down from 24 to 14 in the last 12 months.
my club pro and a couple of playing partners have recomended the titleist ap2 irons.does anyone have any experience with these irons or would you suggest any others all advice appreciated.thanks.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
The AP irons are awesome.

However, your pro needs to get a life and stop trying to flog you stuff.

Nothing wrong with Big Bertha 06, cracking clubs. One of my all-time favourites.

Why not wait to see just how much better you get before throwing out a perfectly good set of irons for a 14 h'cap player.

Now, if you were off 6, I'd be in agreement, just.

- - - -

I played with a chap off 7 the other day who had X-16s. Everyone at the club says he's SO straight with his irons.
Shame they don't say the same about the mid-h'cap players who had their arm twisted by our TITLEIST pro to buy APs.

I rest my case.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
have a strong look at your weaknesses in your game

if they turn out to be things related to your irons then think about how these new irons will DEFINTELY address that issue. If you can't gurantee that, then don't change (and have lessons instead).

I changed irons recently to give me more forgiveness in mid irons and not sacrifice my short iron playability. 6 weeks on and i am pleased as punch as they have done exactly what i needed and the scores show it.

To be honest, i can't imagine what the Tit leists will do for you - you'll never beat their 3 to 6 BB irons; if you thnk your swing needs a less clunky club at 8 9 PW, then consider buying those clubs only and see how you get on with them.

Tough one though when those nice shiny irons are smiling at you , especially if you then get offered a deal.
(i was looking at buying my hogans last summer when they were £500 but managed to persuade myself to stick with my mizunos; 6 weeks ago they were marked down to £200 !!! to clear them out - for top qulaity forged irons. That did it for me - i'm a sucker for a bargain !)

Good luck

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Shop around and see whats out there and then go back to your pro and give him first option to price match anything you see (always try and support your club pro). If he can't but the difference is only a few quid I'd still go with him.

There are loads of places to try dfferent makes and specs and try checking out demo days in your area. American Golf have a list od demo days at their stores or look at the main manufacturers sites.

DR_golf

Visit site
just to let you know borrowed a set of ap2s for a couple of rounds over the weekend and shot my lowest scores of the year so far plyed to 11 on the saturday and 8 on the sunday i have always been quite straight of the tee but had no control of the ball with my irons but what a difference the aps made.so i have booked myself in for a custom fit next week can't wait..........