Certainty and the nearest point of relief

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The local rule that covers this situation also states that you MUST play a different ball so in the situation of playing from where it lies, would I just need to replace the ball?

The Authorised local rule says:

"If a ball strikes the power line during play of the ____ hole, the stroke is canceled and the player must play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was played in accordance with Rule 20-5"

It means any ball

So could there feasibly be a LR allowing a provisional to be played? Or is the provisional rule not amendable under LRs?

No, the rule is specifically for a ball which may be OOB or lost.
I would suggest that having to go forward to determine the answer is extremely rare.

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
The Authorised local rule says:

"If a ball strikes the power line during play of the ____ hole, the stroke is canceled and the player must play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was played in accordance with Rule 20-5"

It means any ball

No, the rule is specifically for a ball which may be OOB or lost.
I would suggest that having to go forward to determine the answer is extremely rare.[/COLOR]

I agree, in fact its very rare that you hit them, happened to myself maybe 3 times and more often than not you hear it as well as see it. Makes an oddly satisfying noise when you hit them.

Just out of interest, where were you able to find the actual Local Ruling, I couldn't find it online. (I spent 2 min searching the website).

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site

Thanks for this.

Just checked a scorecard when home, and the exact wording on there is:
...The player must disregard the stroke, ABANDON the ball and play another ball as near as possible to the place from which the original ball was played in accordance with rule 20-5.

I've actually just realised i am wrong about the OOB element, it also states 'within the boundaries of the course'.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sloppy wording. Why didn't they use the official wording and take up less space on the card?

In fact the wording is probably 'illegal' by breaching rule 33-1, as it waives a Rule by prohibiting the use of the original ball.

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
Sloppy wording. Why didn't they use the official wording and take up less space on the card?

In fact the wording is probably 'illegal' by breaching rule 33-1, as it waives a Rule by prohibiting the use of the original ball.

I would imagine they are just being a tad over zealous in regards to safety.