Celtic Manor

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
If there's a cheap deal to be had, Celtic Manor is worth a trip. Much better courses in Wales , but for all the onsite facilities it does the job.

The members are split on which of the two "other courses" is best, but I'd go for the Roman Road as it is easier to walk, has no fill in holes (Monty Course is made out of a lash up of the old Wentwood Hills Course and the old Academy course.

Also, worth remembering that it's buggies on the cart path all year round there, got the wrong side and it's long walks....

Does gets soggy off the fairway in winter and in places on the fairway too...but the greens and tees will be very good all year....

Last edited by a moderator:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yeah I know, Its great having Super Mod Powers aint it the truth :) :)

Felt sorry for the OP, was obviously either well juiced up or his predictive text thang had been highly confused :) :)

Couldnt you have left it as it was and just changed the "l" to an "n", might have a whole new sector of the populace looking in. ;)

nowtfancy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
few years since i played them and cant remember which one is which.
But the most enjoyable was definitely the one where you had to have a buggy.

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It does get wet in winter but only after persistent poor weather. The fairways and greens will still be outstanding. It is not uncommon to lose balls in the rough due to plugging but they do try to keep it cut short.

The Montgomery is by far the better course in my opinion. Lots of variety, good views over the 2010.

I would never take a buggy though, sticking to the paths can lead to some awfully long walks to your ball.

Enjoy it, it is a great course.