Celtic Manor

wrighty1874

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The missus wants to go in half term and I don't know which is the best to play between Roman Road and the Montgomerie. Your opinions would be appreciated, cheers Nick.

Post edited so it now makes some sort of sense

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Mod Team :)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted Member 1156

Re: Cultic Manor

Not heard of any of those courses ;) but I do know it gets very wet at all 3 Celtic Manor courses in the winter months. If there is any rain leading up to your planned stay I'd suggest looking to play somewhere else.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

Celtic Manor.

The missus wants to go in half term and I don't know which is the best to play between Roman Road and the Montgomerie. Your opinions would be appreciated, cheers Nick.

Sorted for you nick.👍😁

Dont have a clue its on me wish list.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Roman road is a nice course .
Montgomerie is better IMO but it's very hilly and a buggy would is recommended.
But as said it gets very wet so watch the rainfall.
Hotel is very nice.

wrighty1874

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Roman road is a nice course .
Montgomerie is better IMO but it's very hilly and a buggy would is recommended.
But as said it gets very wet so watch the rainfall.
Hotel is very nice.
Cheers, I think I'll opt for RonanRd. We're only going because the better half fancies a night in the hotel.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Hope that’s all she wants to do Nick, because eating and drinking costs a fortune. You do get use of the pool and other facilities though so don’t forget to pack your speedo’s

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Cheers, I think I'll opt for RonanRd. We're only going because the better half fancies a night in the hotel.
Theres a really nice curry house about a mile away , couple of quid in a cab you could walk in about 20 mins if you don't fancy the hotel prices.
Breakfast is stunning in hotel
enjoy.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Could be worth seeing if you can get on the 2010 course, I thought that was cracking in part because you see the clubhouse and locker rooms they used, Ryder cup memorabilia and then buggyed down to use the driving range (with balls in a pyramid :) ) before playing the course.

I think i'd pick Montgomery out of the two mentioned

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

IMO the roman road is by far the better of the two courses.

Check here for the dates you are staying to see if you can get a deal on the 2010 just in case you prefer playing it the tee times start at £69 and is definitely worth it http://www.celtic-manor.com/twenty-ten-tastic

Funny, I would have said the complete opposite. The Roman Road has been ruined with the changes they have made on the 16th and squeezing in the 7th, plus it get's a lot wetter.

The par 5 3rd on the Monty is probably one of my favourite holes.

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Cracking hole. One of my fav’s too.

Like most have said, the Montgomerie wins hands down for me. Hilly, but a lovely course. However, if you can get on the 2010 for sensible money, go for that.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site

Funny, I would have said the complete opposite. The Roman Road has been ruined with the changes they have made on the 16th and squeezing in the 7th, plus it get's a lot wetter.

I preferred that Monty. It's a good fun course. I'd choose that this time of year vs the other 2 based on how wet they get

kevingopher

Medal Winner
Visit site

Been to Celtic Manor a few times, it's a fantastic place to stay and play. My wife and young un' came with me twice and enjoyed it both times, lots to do while I played for few hours.

I would say that the Monty course is by far the best of the 2 smaller tracks (I actually liked the Monty better than 2010) Drainage is a problem tho, on all three.

You can go into the 2010 clubhouse and see the Ryder Cup locker rooms etc. whenever you like. You do not need to be booked on the 2010 to see them. However, the staff on the 2010 make a lot of effort when you play the 2010, it does feel a bit special. I just thought the course itself was a bit bland and open, especially the front 9. Also 5 hour rounds is the norm!!

If your feeling flush, eat at the New Bridge on Usk. You will get free transport to the restaurant and back again. It's lovely. http://www.celtic-manor.com/newbridge-on-usk-restaurant

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site

That's the one!!!

I played the 2010 course in mid October after the ryder cup and although we all enjoyed it the ground was extremely wet and heavy. Fairways and greens were good (not great) but plugged balls all over the place

Haven't played either of the other courses but we always said we would on a revisit... but only in summer