Celtic Manor: Roman Road Course

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Got to play here on a lovely sunny September day. The course looked great - some absolute beauties (5, 6, 11, 13, 16).

Full set of photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinmarkham/sets/72157631807338218/

Played it on Friday. Some very nice holes. Overall good and interesting. But it was very, very, very wet underfoot. And off the fairways actually dangerous to the point of being unplayable. Some steep slopes very difficult to negotiate. However it was £99 for a fourball so not complaining. Nice 'clubhouse' - though staff a bit unengaged with us. The hotel however...says - 'hey look at me - I've got loads of money to build this monster on top of a hill'.

I'll send your link to my mates - Friday was cold, cloudy and windy. But the holes look similar to the ones we played :rolleyes:

Last edited:

devdor

Visit site
The photos look good and inviting! I have never played on that course but someday I would. I think that place is also a good spot for brisk walking, not just for playing golf.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The photos look good and inviting! I have never played on that course but someday I would. I think that place is also a good spot for brisk walking, not just for playing golf.

The Usk Way crosses the course at least once - and some of the uphill holes aren't a brisk walk - one 228 yd (?) par 4 - almost as 'straight up' as reasonable - and then a raised green - the 6th. The guy's pictures don't really show the changes in elevation on the course.

devdor

Visit site
The Usk Way crosses the course at least once - and some of the uphill holes aren't a brisk walk - one 228 yd (?) par 4 - almost as 'straight up' as reasonable - and then a raised green - the 6th.

That's alright. As long as I get to move around with two feet, I'll be fine. I don't mind if there's some elevation on the course.