Celtic Manor or Belfry Driving Range?

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Up and down the country at the moment and most notably I pass the Belfry and my site is about 15mins from Celtic Manor.

I don’t have time to play a round just an hour or so to hit a few balls before and after my meeting to break up the journey to and from South Wales.

Are there any restrictions for general public using the driving range / short game areas at either course if they aren’t paying to play?

Anybody been to both and have any preference?

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Belfry range is OK and is open to everyone.

The manuufacturers fitting bays in the centre are impressive but range itself isn't particularly.

Last time I went (a year or two ago) several of the automatic tees were broken.

The balls were fine.

The outfield is very bland.

Price wise it's as you'd expect, paying a premium of say an extra 50% against comparable ranges.

HTH

Last edited:

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks guys just about to head homeward bound so I’ll call at Belfry to break up the journey.

I’ll try Celtic Manor next week.

More interested in using chipping facilities If I can as I don’t have any such decent facilities at my track.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I like the Belfry short game area although obviously showing quite a few pitch marks at this time of year. Putting green also reasonable. As others have said, premium on range balls though.

If you're looking for a quick hit then I'd expect the following would be on your route from Belfry to Celtic Manor

- Junct 4, M42 https://fourashesgolfcentre.co.uk/ isn't too far off that and has quite a lot of targets
- Junct 3, M42 http://storeblog.americangolf.co.uk/wythall/ - Has a driving range half a mile down dual carrigeway from the junction, sometimes a bit into the sun but should be sorting there short game area this year (I haven't been up for a month or two). They bought it from Sports Direct and planned to last summer i believe but weather got in the way.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks guys just about to head homeward bound so I’ll call at Belfry to break up the journey.

I’ll try Celtic Manor next week.

More interested in using chipping facilities If I can as I don’t have any such decent facilities at my track.
Think you have to have an academy membership to use the Belfry's short game area

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I like the Belfry short game area although obviously showing quite a few pitch marks at this time of year. Putting green also reasonable. As others have said, premium on range balls though.

If you're looking for a quick hit then I'd expect the following would be on your route from Belfry to Celtic Manor

- Junct 4, M42 https://fourashesgolfcentre.co.uk/ isn't too far off that and has quite a lot of targets
- Junct 3, M42 http://storeblog.americangolf.co.uk/wythall/ - Has a driving range half a mile down dual carrigeway from the junction, sometimes a bit into the sun but should be sorting there short game area this year (I haven't been up for a month or two). They bought it from Sports Direct and planned to last summer i believe but weather got in the way.

Thanks a lot I’ll be sure to check those out! Both ideally located and never knew either were there!

Think you have to have an academy membership to use the Belfry's short game area

I just asked the lads when I got there if I could pay to use the the short game area after I’d hit a few balls.

They just told me to crack on and not worry, so I got lucky yesterday. Hit 75 balls on the range which I must admit is bland as stated by someone else.

Was on the chipping area for a good hour afterwards, 15 mins of that was repairing pitch marks though. Had it to myself so couldn’t pull myself away!

May look into membership as it would be very ideal just to call There most weeks just to practice putting and chipping away from my course.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Excellent 👍👍

Out of interest, how much was the basket of balls?

It was either £6 or £6.50 I didn't pay enough attention, almost sure it was £6.50 though.

I got my moneys worth out on the chipping green, I love receptive greens this time of year with some nice high chips.

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There is a good chipping area at the Celtic manor that you can use for free. I use my own balls there too. Chipping from the fringe is fine and they have mats placed around the green to hit from which is needed during the winter.
The green is a decent size and is very receptive.