Cavity Blade set up?

Secker

Visit site
Just switched from X18 Callaway full cavity back irons to a set of Titliest AP2 cavity back blades. Should I change anything in my setup to ensure the correct ball flight? First impressions are I am having to set my hands well forward at address to attain the same distances. Purposely went forged in search of more feel and not too bothered about more distance but noticing when I do find the sweet spot, my oh my it's sweet and far.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure why but my only guess is that with your Callies you got away with things a bit more because the design of the club is to be more forgiving and let you get away with maybe having a bad setup. With a club aimed at the better golfer you are maybe having to set your hands correctly at address now. But without seeing how you normally address the ball I am just having a stab in the dark.

macca64

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
lessons im having at the moment he is getting me to get my hands forward at address,the correct position i guess,should help you,

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yup think a few hours with my pro over the next few months will be the best plan.

Is the correct answer.

When I first saw the thread, I through you were going to ask about a mixed set I.E 3-5CB, 6-W blades or the like.

I didn't think AP2's were blades :mmm: or are they a muscle cavity?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The Callys have more offset and so are designed to instinctively get your hands forward. Get your pro to check your set up with the new clubs but I wouldn't change anything unless he tells you to

Minhoca

Assistant Pro
Visit site
How does offset do that? From memory offset is there to help square the blade at impact and get height on the ball.

Ive always believed its to get your hands ahead of the ball at impact as a beginner. As players improve they understand how angle of attack gets the ball to spin and get airborne.

D

Deleted Member 1156

You may find that the Callaways have stronger lofts and possibly longer shafts than the Titleists which could account for the extra distance. Along with Taylormade they are notorious for setting their clubs up in this way. Are your AP2's new? If not, get the lofts checked in case they have altered through use.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ive always believed its to get your hands ahead of the ball at impact as a beginner. As players improve they understand how angle of attack gets the ball to spin and get airborne.

Your hands should be ahead of the ball no matter what club you use. With offset the blade is delayed a fraction to help get it square its similar (the same) as a draw bias driver.

Minhoca

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Your hands should be ahead of the ball no matter what club you use. With offset the blade is delayed a fraction to help get it square its similar (the same) as a draw bias driver.

Yes but offset also moves the COG further back in the club.The further back the COG in relation to the shaft the higher the launch therefore can aid people who have trouble getting the ball airborne. It also allows the clubhead to arrive at impact a split second later than a club with no offset which means youve got extra time to square the face which means the club travels longer down the target line which helps fight slice.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes but offset also moves the COG further back in the club.The further back the COG in relation to the shaft the higher the launch therefore can aid people who have trouble getting the ball airborne. It also allows the clubhead to arrive at impact a split second later than a club with no offset which means youve got extra time to square the face which means the club travels longer down the target line which helps fight slice.

How does offset do that? From memory offset is there to help square the blade at impact and get height on the ball.

Ok, now why are you just repeating what I have said and not carrying on with the hands in front thing?

Minhoca

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ok, now why are you just repeating what I have said and not carrying on with the hands in front thing?

There is two reasons for offset. They do allow your hands to lead a fraction morethrough the target line than if you had less offset.. And the other is which you have already mentioned which i reiterated.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Here's a quote from a google-ised find!

Offset
The offset distance is the space between an imaginary line down the centre of the shaft and the leading edge of the blade. An offset club helps a player to align the clubface with the target, thus reducing slice and helping produce a higher ball flight. In progressively offset golf irons the offset will vary, with more in the longer irons to correct the tendency to slice with these clubs.

AP2s are 'players cavity backs', so read what you want from that 'definition'. Nice clubs, but not to my taste - just a bit fussy.

Here are the specs. Not a lot of offset and pretty 'traditional' lofts. Titleist tend to be pretty 'honest' about lofts/numbers imo. I think Cobra, that used to be part of Acushnet, were more aggressive though.

http://www.titleist.com/golfclubs/irons/2008ap2.asp