Casey on fire

Severiano798488

Club Champion
Visit site
Did anyone see Casey rip it up yesterday afternoon in Abu Dhabi? When he's in that sort of form he seems unstoppable. It was the same at Wentworth last autumn. It was really impressive, even if Jimenez could have played 17 and 18 better.

There's been much debate about Europe's next Major winner on these forums over the last few weeks - could it be Casey? I'm starting to come round to the idea. You always wonder how someone will follow up a really good year like he had in 2006 but he's started like he's on fire....

JamieD3

Medal Winner
Visit site
Garcia would get my vote... way more experienced at the highest level than Casey. Don't forget that Casey hasn't ever been in contention for a major. So don't expect him to win one until he has some of this under his belt. Sorry to burst the bubble.

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes Garcia does have more experience...of buckling under pressure! His poor showing on the front 9 on the last day of the Open last year was testament to his seeming inability to put up a fight when the heat is on. He only started to play to his potential when he'd slipped a few shots off the lead and the pressure to win was off.

JamieD3

Medal Winner
Visit site
But I think that's the point. You need to learn how to win. This experience, although it might be a bad one, will only help Garicia in the future. Casey has nothing of the like to speak of...

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
But he seems to be going backwards. Look how he played when up against Tiger in the 1999 USPGA...fearless attacking golf all round. Now he looks petrified when he gets anywhere near the lead in a major.

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
JamieD3 is right. In a few special cases, like with Tiger, someone can come along and win majors without experiencing the last day tension but in the main, players have to earn their spurs. Casey will not win a major this year, neither will Rose, neither will Howell, let's hope I'm wrong! Donald has been in contention a few times so may have a chance but I agree that Garcia is still Europe's best bet.

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Depends what you call a special case. Tiger obviously has exceptional talent but numerous players have won majors from nowhere, such as Shaun Micheel, Ben Curtis, Rich Beem, Geoff Ogilvy, Todd Hamilton, Paul Lawrie... In some cases of course it's more a case of someone else losing it than them winning it (Bjorn/Curtis, Mickelson/Ogilvy, Van de Velde/Lawrie) but a win's a win however you look at it. :)

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
True - but those guy's, save for Geoff Ogilvy who'd proved himself as a big player with a win at the Accenture matchplay, were bolts out of the blue. I'd prefer to see Casey coming through and winning in a tough scrap with Tiger then going on to contend in the next major and be a continuous presence near the top from then on. Curtis, Lawrie, Hamilton, Micheel - never really contested another major since they won one. I think if Casey could have a couple of top 5s this year then he could build on that in 2008.

golfdonkey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Maybe our next Major winner will come out of the blue - a bit like Paul Lawrie. Someone like Mark Pilkington (Wales), Alan McLean (Scotland), John Bickerton (England) or Ross Fisher (England). All have made a good start to the season. We can dream...

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
Think Casey will win at Augusta, Ollie Fisher will take the Us Open, Harrington the Open and Donald the USPGA....excellent!