Cart path ruling

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Evening.

Friend of mine had interference from a cart path today. He took full relief from it which caused interference with the course boundary but he chose to drop on the path and claim interference from the path and drop on the other side of the path in the rough. Is this correct? No amount of googling or looking at the useless r&a app can really tell me.

thanks

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There's a rules section where people are very good at answering these questions.
I am not totally clear how he proceeded but my understanding is that you have to take the nearest point of full relief from the path. An out of bounds boundary, is not an interference if you are close to the Out of bounds such that it is bothering you you may be better off not taking relief. Others will doubtlessly have a more complete and correct interpretation.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
There's a rules section where people are very good at answering these questions.
I am not totally clear how he proceeded but my understanding is that you have to take the nearest point of full relief from the path. An out of bounds boundary, is not an interference if you are close to the Out of bounds such that it is bothering you you may be better off not taking relief. Others will doubtlessly have a more complete and correct interpretation.
Yes and my theory and Im sure this is the old rule, is that if you drop on the path, you have to play it from there.

p.s. I’m happy for mods to move this. I was writing it in a bar in Spain

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
You are entitled to take penalty free reluef from a cart path as it is an immovable object by definition provided it has not be deemed an integral.object by local rule. In taking relief you mystified the nearest point if complete relief, and you get a relief area if one club length from there. This is all contained with rule 16.1, which can be found in the "useless" R&A rules App.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Evening.

Friend of mine had interference from a cart path today. He took full relief from it which caused interference with the course boundary but he chose to drop on the path and claim interference from the path and drop on the other side of the path in the rough. Is this correct? No amount of googling or looking at the useless r&a app can really tell me.

thanks
You mention 'a cart path' and also 'a path'. Are you referring to the same thing? Or two different things?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Evening.

thanks
How did he have interference from the course boundary? Is the boundary a fence or wall? What was interfered with? Stance, swing or ?