Carnoustie

Hoganman1

Visit site
I'm playing the Championship Course at Carnoustie next week. I'm wondering what tees I should play. I'm 72 years old with a 9.3 index. My average drive is between 180 and 200 yards. My scoring relies on putting and chipping. I'll be playing with rented clubs. The Green tee are at 6136 and I see they have Black tees that are around 5610. I play 6250 here on my home course. I'm thinking the Green tees, but I don't want my ego to get in the way of having fun. Any thoughts by those who know the course?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It would depend on the weather on the day, but playing the same/equivalent length tees as 'at home' shouldn't present too much difficulty. I can't remember any holes requiring long carries, but you might need to make some decisions on a few - Spectacles (14), 16 - a 245yd Par 3, Island (17) though the entire hole is visible from the tee, it's about plotting your way to the green while avoiding the Barry Burn (for both 1st and 2nd!).
Whatever you do, don't try your namesake's stunning play on 6 (Now Hogan's Alley; Previously 'Long') to birdie it all 4 days. Those 4 shots was his winning margin!
Enjoy it! It's a great experience.

D

Deleted member 23270

Wait to see what the wind is doing on the day, if it's calm then links courses can play much shorter due to the amount of run you get.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Whenever I have played Carnoustie in the past, and booked it in advance, you were just put on the "Tees of the day". This sometimes meant the forward tees, other times it was the back ones. It was always a pleasant surprise...

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whenever I have played Carnoustie in the past, and booked it in advance, you were just put on the "Tees of the day". This sometimes meant the forward tees, other times it was the back ones. It was always a pleasant surprise...
Unless you were on the back tees and the rain was horizontal :unsure:

Hoganman1

Visit site
As a follow-up we played the Green tees which are 6139. That worked pretty well. While I didn't score as well as I hoped playing with rented clubs, it was a wonderful experience. The highlight was making par on #6 which they call "Hogan's Alley".