Can't wait any longer

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Okay I can't contain myself any longer. As I have alluded to recently I have been storing up some major news to share with you and I'm fit to bursting so here goes.

I had an e-mail from Mike Harris (GM editor) early last week and he has asked if I'd accept the Golf Monthly challenge. I agreed readily and the game has been set for Thursday 27th March

Sadly Mike will be on holiday but the GM team is Jezz Ellwood (5 handicap) Paul O'Hagan (5) Luke Norman (8) and John Thynne (18)

I am having selection problems. I was going to play with my regular Saturday morning fourball. They are all high handicappers but what they lack in quality they make up for in enthusiasm. Sadly one has to attend a business meeting in London and the thought of his MD seeing him in the magazine when he should be going through sales targets decided it wasn't conducive to career progression.

Not surprisingly our pro and a host of club members are well up for it. Playing the pro I'm not sure was in the spirit of the challenge so he is only the subs bench.

One of our group has said his son could play (the old father and son one two and his son is a member so not like I'm playing a ringer) although I'm concerned he hasn't played in a while. From what I've seen though he is a tidy golfer and should be able to drag his dad around so thinking of giving him the nod. What do my fellow forum members think. Should I risk him, get another of my long standing friends to play or ask one of the clubs better golfers to try and even things up handicap wise?

We have home advantage at Royal Ascot and the line up looks to be myself of 14 and my partner (24) my Saturday morning regular (28 but cleaning up every weekend - 40 points plus the last few Saturdays and playing far better than handicap) and his son (14 (depending on whether you guys give him the nod - it X factor without the premium rate numbers).

I'm hoping home advantage and an avalanche of shots will be enough to maintain forum honour.

I have to say I haven't been this excited about any golf game in my life. I just hope the course is in good nick (I've e-mailed the club so they are aware of our esteemed guests coming) and that the British weather decides late March is actually Spring and gives us a great day

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We do have several lady members that fall into the eye candy bracket but sadly I am unknown to them and my advances may be misconstrued.

What I need forum members to decide is do I
a) play my partners son. A good player but hasn't played in ages
b) ask another good friend (but who doesn't play with my regular group)
c) get the club pro to play (not sure in the ethical constitution of the GM challenge)
d) get one of the lower handicappers to play to even the handicaps out and giving ourselves a better chance of winning)

Those are your choices pop pickers. I look forward to your many and varied views and will base my decision on the general consensus and submit my team after midnight on Tuesday

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Homer, the day is all about the banter and enjoying the day and if you win then its a bonus. Leave the Pro out and let the guy play with his son.

Entirely agreed. Fun first, scores second. It's a game and all that.

Make your sacrifice to the weather gods good and early ;)

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
An alternative could be another GMfuGS member or is it only a 'home' team event? You could maybe do with someone in single figures - this is pure instinct, but then I don't have match experience.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Agree to pick people who you will enjoy the day with, tell your mates son to get some practice in. And dont forget you will have home advantage.

B

birdieman

Get one of the forum guys from the south in on it, that's the whole point isn't it? What about mjw - Gillingham to Ascot ain't that far, is it?
Don't use the pro - hitting it straight and perfect all the time isn't what golf's about (ok it is but you know what I mean!)