can't hit fairway woods

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not a bad player, 13 hcp better than that TBH, I have a decent swing and can get myself around without too much trouble until I pick up a fairway wood that is! I cannot seem to hit them, I constantly top the ball, it feels like I drive the ball into the ground and it just pops up and goes nowhere. Now that is embarrassing. I don't have this trouble with long irons just FW woods. Any advise appreciated gang.

lee_leggett

Head Pro
Visit site
I use both the 3wood & 5wood, Sounds like to you have the ball to far forward in your stance and you may pop up early.

Try and hold your body and legs at the same hight, try not to pop up, set the ball back in your stance a little more, and make a comkited swing, and DONT try and help the ball up in the air.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
This used to be me! all other parts of the game great but could not hit a wood for toffee off the deck.

I realised I was trying to sweep them, pusing my arms away on the backswing then trying to help them up on the way through.

I started turning more with the body and lettings the hands just come along for the ride, now if anything they go too high! That is just something that can be sorted with practice as I hit down on them too much like an iron as they are quite far back in my stance.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I realised I was trying to sweep them, pusing my arms away on the backswing then trying to help them up on the way through.

I thought that was the idea, to sweep them away. Surely you don't want to hit down in the same way as an iron but given the length of shaft and the different head you need to make a shallower angle of attack into impact

goldenbare

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I can't help anyone who has 7 WOOD in their forum sig ;)

I sometimes think I'm beyond help :D
and others do as well I think
but I love my 7 wood, goes about as fire as 5 iron, but sits down very softly ;)
Until I brought the Cobra woods I couldn't hit one off the fairway either :D

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Topping the ball (if that is what you are definitely doing) is generally the club coming down over the top of the ball, either the ball is too far back or the upper body gets too far ahead. I'd recommend moving the ball forward an inch or two and see how you get on. Then get some video of your swing and post it (front and side view).

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site

I thought that was the idea, to sweep them away. Surely you don't want to hit down in the same way as an iron but given the length of shaft and the different head you need to make a shallower angle of attack into impact

I agree. I use a sweeping technique and I generally don't have any trouble hitting my fairway woods cleanly. I have the ball fairly forward, almost the same as my driver, and try to keep the club low on the take away and make sure I maintain my height. I hate taking any kind of divot with a fairway wood. Need a good lie of course. If the lie isn't good I'll take an iron and lay up. We have 2 par 5s and 4 other holes around 450 yards so my fairway woods get used a lot.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site

I agree. I use a sweeping technique and I generally don't have any trouble hitting my fairway woods cleanly. I have the ball fairly forward, almost the same as my driver, and try to keep the club low on the take away and make sure I maintain my height. I hate taking any kind of divot with a fairway wood. Need a good lie of course. If the lie isn't good I'll take an iron and lay up. We have 2 par 5s and 4 other holes around 450 yards so my fairway woods get used a lot.

I feel the length of the shaft does most of the sweeping, it is hard to be steep with something so long, as does ball position. When people try very hard to sweep they do a poor motion of pushing the hands away therefore moving the whole swing backwards, all you can do is top or thin it!

I have not been able to work on my woods since I sorted this due to surgery but the first two range sessions and the first two rounds with it were fantastic. I also had my shafts changed to a little shorter and stiffer just to help me middle it more, it even gained me distance!

Still one more week without golf :(

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Same swing for any other club the only thing that changes is your ball position and the distance that you stand from the ball compared to the other clubs.

You might be either trying to hit it too hard or trying to help the ball get airborne with a heave of the body.

Pretend that you have a 7I in your hand and swing smoothly.