Can you put your putter head on the line of your putt that you are about to take?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
When about to take the putt and you are assessing the line etc, are you allowed to let the putter head come to rest on the line of the putt at a point between your ball or marker and the hole?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Second Q - same vein:

Can you put your putter to the side of the ball at 90 degrees (to the ball) pointing at the hole as help for alignment and then move it to your address position when you’ve taken your stance?
Do you mean lay the whole putter on the ground?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Then 3rd Q - what about a ball marker with a line on it which helps to line up the ball?

What is wrong with a line actually on the ball, after all it is that you are going to hit and not the marker.

Also bearing in mind that once the marker is down it should not be moved unless the markers position itself is in some way marked e.g. when asked to move the marker out of the way of another's stroke.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Then 3rd Q - what about a ball marker with a line on it which helps to line up the ball?
There is no specific constraint in the rules.
It simply says - An artificial object when used to mark the spot of a ball to be lifted, such as a tee, a coin, an object made to be a ball-marker or another small piece of equipment.

However:

A player may use equipment to help his or her play during a round, except that a player must not create a potential advantage by:
  • Using equipment (other than a club or a ball) that artificially eliminates or reduces the need for a skill or judgement that is essential to the challenge of the game,

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nothing wrong with a line on the ball - was asking about ball marker, which has a line specifically on it for alignment
Which takes me to my second point.

If you do not get the marker aligned correctly when you first put it down you will need to move it. If you are going to move it you will need to mark the markers position.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Which takes me to my second point.

If you do not get the marker aligned correctly when you first put it down you will need to move it. If you are going to move it you will need to mark the markers position.

Place ball back at original spot.
pick up and replace marker.
pick ball. Repeat as many times as you like, that's until PP's kick your a**!

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Did the Dead Aim people tell you that or someone else?

Yes, it’s on their website. There’s plenty of other similar products that all are say they are R&A or USGA approved. They can’t all be telling fibs