Can one degree make so much difference?

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I've been playing a G2 driver for ages - 11.5* of loft with a regular shaft. I'm a 22 handicapper and don't try to shape my shots, I just try to repeat the same swing. I get a manageable fade almost every time, the odd straight one but very few going to the left. In other words, it's reliable and I feel confident when stood on the tee.

I've just bought a G10 on fleabay, £50 including delivery so not a massive investment. Took it to the range and it was left, right, high, low with no way to predict what was coming. It's 10.5* (still a regular shaft). Is it likely that the 1* of loft is making so much difference? Or is a G10 less forgiving than a G2? Or are range balls more wayward than normal balls? It was my first time at a range in about five years!

I'd be terrified if I was stood on the tee with that level of unpredictability - it might have to go straight back on ebay!

Shep

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
not so much no
(the static loft of any driver is only what's stamped at the bottom in one specific place, geometric center, above that point loft a little ways more & below lower)

it's possible more to do with the unfamiliarity of the little ways different head shape & the unfamiliar surroundings of the range bay
range balls made to limit distance traveled depends what type as to how much distance lost - some approximately -10%, -15% to some on real small ranges at a near -50% - distance lost noticed more with the big stuff, driver 3 metal etc, than the wedges - but it's pilot error if ball starting off line and curving any

the G10 was built to be little ways more forgiving than the G5 which in turn was a little way more forgiving than the G2

so guess it was something the 'pilot' was doing that was little ways different to the norm - even if it felt the same

would give it another go with alternate strikes G2 to G10 at the range once you've hit a small bunch with the familiar G2 to get the rhythm/tempo going to get some decent shot results - still don't get along with it move it on

Last edited:

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Update. I took the G10 out on the course today and tried it again. It's straighter and (consequently) longer than the G2. It seems the difference was the range and their odd balls.